Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

The strings on Congressman Jared Huffman’s racket break as he returns a serve from senior Jackson Sichel.
Congressman Jared Huffman visits boys’ varsity tennis practice after MCAL championship
Matthew KnauerApril 28, 2024

The boys’ varsity tennis team has enjoyed an eventful past two weeks. On Wednesday, April 17, they beat the Archie Williams Falcons 7-0...

The best books for a cozy autumn read

As fall rolls around, many Redwood students are waiting for some festive seasonal activities. Pumpkin patches, haunted houses and movie marathons all make for the perfect autumn day. However, no fall pastime can be as cozy (and fun) as curling up with a great book. Here are the best reads for this fall. 

Image courtesy of Collins Crime Club

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Not a fan of horror but looking for something thrilling this fall season? “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie fits the bill. Christie is known for being one of the most prolific and successful mystery authors of all time, writing over 60 books and selling 2 billion copies cumulatively. “And Then There Were None” is Christie’s magnum opus, despite leaving out her famed recurring detective Hercule Poirot. The novel details 10 guests invited to a house party by a strange host, Mr. Owen. The guests enjoy a night together until they begin to hear recordings accusing each of them of a terrible crime. While discussing what to do, one guest drinks poisoned whiskey, and the party is in terror. Guests continue to slowly die out throughout the book, each death causing more accusations and mystery. “And Then There Were None” leaves readers with questions about the animalistic relationships between humans and how fear influences one’s own guilt. The reader falls into the role of detective, and begins to make their own deductions about the crime. Christie’s masterpiece makes for a perfect read to enjoy on a rainy fall night, especially for readers with a desire for mystery. 

Image courtesy of Bloomsbury

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

The Boy who Lived is a household name for a reason. The “Harry Potter” franchise is the highest selling book series of all time with each novel selling an average of 85 million copies. “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” begins the journey of the famous wizard. Harry travels to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and meets his companions Ron and Hermione along the way. Their first big adventure begins when Hermione meets a troll in the girls restroom around Halloween. This novel, more so than the rest of the series, has a fantastic emphasis on the autumn season. The description of the great hall on Halloween night illustrates an amazing fall aesthetic that is unmatched in the magical literary world. Harry Potter’s first escapade makes a great autumn choice for enjoyers of the fantasy genre.  

Image courtesy of Viking

IT by Stephen King

The character of a killer clown is one that is associated with the spooky season worldwide. While this is a famous cultural icon, none can be more iconic than the circus spectacle from “IT”. The movie adaptation of this famous novel grossed 700 million dollars worldwide and for good reason. This story entails the adventures of The Losers’ Club, a group of pre-adolescent boys in Derry, Maine. They begin to be haunted by a creature from the sewers and have to realize their own worst fears and overcome them. “IT” is one of the most successful and well known horror books in our era, as well as a perfect choice for any brave reader this season.