Ibram X. Kendi joins the TUHSD for a Stop-and-Learn
Elsa BlockMay 23, 2024

On Tuesday, May 21, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) held the third “Stop-and-Learn” of the year following recent racial...

Exploring the role of religion in grief: Unveiling the impact of rituals and community support
Emily Garcia and Ellie BraggsMay 21, 2024

Religion plays a significant role in many people's lives, and while its influence in navigating grief is widely recognized, certain practices...

FDA approves Opill; The lens into the world of reproductive rights
Hailey Carlton and Annie BurlingameMay 16, 2024

From IUDs to Depo-Provera shots, and to the original pill (Plan-B), birth control has evolved substantially since its debut in May of 1950....

Roaming for the perfect roast: finding Marin’s best coffee

Attention coffee enthusiasts! In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, a good cup of coffee can be a saving grace. Whether it’s to fuel those late-night study sessions, recharge during a hectic school day or simply find a moment of solace amid the chaos, coffee becomes a familiar companion. I embarked on a quest to discover the best coffee destinations that cater to the tastes of Marin County’s public. I visited four of the most popular coffee destinations Marin has to offer and ordered a simple iced vanilla latte from each location to fairly determine who does their coffee best.

Starbucks 

Originally established in 1971, Starbucks has grown to be one of the most well known coffee establishments worldwide. The Town Center Starbucks location is a popular spot for Redwood students to quickly satisfy their coffee fix. I ordered an iced vanilla latte with almond milk (I’m lactose intolerant) which came out to a final price of $6.45. The service at Starbucks was impressively swift and efficient, managing the high volume of orders both in-person and online. In terms of taste, the coffee was sweet, but the flavor itself didn’t deliver the strength I was seeking. It fulfilled my craving, but wasn’t quite strong enough to fully satisfy. The drink was a bit diluted with a watery taste and it was also a bit bitter. I give Starbucks a score of 6/10.

Peet’s Coffee 

Peet’s coffee was established locally in Berkeley, California in 1966. This coffee spot has grown exceptionally and despite not being as popular as Starbucks, it remains as a close competitor. I visited the Corte Madera location and ordered my iced vanilla latte (once again with almond milk) which was a total of $6.25. I received quick service which was to be expected as the cafe was not very crowded at the time. Immediately, I noticed a significant difference in the quality of the Peet’s coffee beans. They were significantly richer and stronger compared to Starbucks beans. The latte had a slightly sweeter undertone, but the intensity of the coffee flavor blended in harmoniously. Much like the Starbucks latte, there seemed to be a tad too much water, diluting the overall taste, but it remained a highly enjoyable drink. All things considered, I rate Peet’s coffee at a solid 8/10. 

Philz Coffee 

Even though it joined the coffee crowd significantly later than Peet’s and Starbucks, the San Francisco originating coffee spot, Philz, came into the playing field in 2003. This establishment not only carries a variety of coffee to choose from, but its Town Center location also serves as a popular study spot for students. The spacious interior and comfortable couches provide an advantage, serving as both a place to recharge with caffeine and a suitable spot for studying. Once again I placed my order and received comparatively slower service than I had in the previous coffee establishments with a total price coming out to $6.75. Despite this, the coffee was exceptional. Everything down to the quality of almond milk was significantly better than the previous coffees. The final rating comes to 8.5/10.

Equator 

My final destination was Equator, a coffee shop native to Marin, nestled in downtown Larkspur. This cozy coffee spot pleasantly surprised me with the quickest service yet. When I received my vanilla latte I immediately noticed the light color compared to my previous drinks. While the appearance was more on the milky side, I assumed the flavor might be too mild, but to my delight, the coffee flavor was impressively strong, possibly the boldest I’ve tasted so far. It struck a perfect balance, maintaining a slight sweetness without an overbearing sugary taste. With this impressive blend of flavors, Equator earns my highest rating, a well-deserved 9.2/10.