Riley Peterson and Caitlin Shaver eat together as they discuss what they will be doing at the graduation practice.
Redwood seniors celebrate their last day of school
Lauren PoulinJune 12, 2024

On Wednesday, June 12th, Redwood seniors joined together in the Covered Eating Area (CEA) to celebrate the end of their senior year before...

“Good Karma” has come to Marin with Karma Club

With teen mental health being at an all-time low, it is now more important than ever for resources to be available to the youth. Fortunately, on Aug. 23, a new organization opened at Northgate Mall called Karma Club, a space where students can spend time recovering and taking a break from their busy day-to-day lives.

Providing students with course options, the Wall of Care stands as a great resource.

Sally Newson, the founder of Wellify, a non-profit organization regarding the mental health of teens, created Karma Club as a getaway for students dealing with stress. Karma Club is free for all students ages 13-19, and signing up only requires teens to complete a quick form and have a waiver signed by their parents. At the club, there is a plethora of activities teens can participate in such as table tennis and arts and crafts. These activities feature both a calming aspect and active aspect for whatever a student is interested in.

Students can also work on school assignments in a comfortable environment, which consists of quiet study areas full of couches and lounge chairs. There are also spaces with elevated tables and tall stools, which provide a more serious and focused environment for students. 

Karma Club has many tables and seating spaces for teens to study and get schoolwork done.

Karma Club also offers many unique experiences for their guests to enjoy; each Wednesday, a teacher comes in and serves as a great resource for students wanting to ask questions about their schoolwork.

The space also holds weekly Friday Night Lives, which provides activities like open mic night, karaoke night, movie night, live music produced by teens and poetry slam. Most of these fun activities are run by teens, which creates a more unified environment for members. 

One of the most important opportunities that Karma Club offers is its “Wall of Care.” This wall is a wonderful resource that informs teens of programs that can assist them in preparing for their futures. Many courses are readily available for students who are interested in applying. One of these courses is the Representation Project, a program that was created by Jennifer Newsom to promote learning about gender equity. This eight-week-long course provides in-depth learning for students and at the end of the program, everyone who completes it will receive a certificate of completion.

With Karma Club being not only a great resource for the well-being and mental health of students, there is no doubt that this newly founded program will continue to expand and help better the lives of teens.