Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake PostMay 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

Girls’ varsity water polo beats Terra Linda in a senior night victory

On Oct. 17th, girls’ varsity water polo played head-to-head against Terra Linda High School (TL) with an ending score of 8-2. Redwood came into the game with confidence, but still expecting solid competition. Throughout the game, the team maintained a consistent effort and positive attitude as they were anticipating an exciting and celebratory senior night. 

In an attempt to prevent a goal, junior Annabelle Kilgore stretches her arm for the ball. (Estelle Smith)

“We expected it to not be the hardest game that we’ve [ever] played…but we still needed to go out 110 percent. We usually go outside, get hyped and then go all out,” junior Annabelle Kilgore said. 

Leading the game in the first two minutes was senior Zoe Zedlitz, who scored a skillful goal in the top left hand corner to get the game going. Junior Giselle Orson scored another point one minute later, along with many other goals throughout the game. 

With many missed shots on both sides, the score was 4-1 at halftime. During halftime, the players were revving up to finish the last two quarters.

“I think the most challenging thing for [our team] was making sure we landed our passes and kept them accurate, not giving up those 50/50 balls,” Kilgore said.

Freshman goalie Aurora Devilbiss blocks a high shot to the upper right corner of the goal. (Estelle Smith)

Ultimately, the girls managed to close the game out by scoring four more goals and only giving up one. Much of that score can be attributed to freshman Aurora Devilbiss, the starting goalie. The crowd could not get enough of her. Despite TL’s many shots on target, she had a total of 14 saves and helped carry the team to an 8-2 victory. 

“I think as always a highlight is just watching [Devilbiss] [play]. She really is our [most valuable player] every day,” Kilgore said.

Coming off a great win, it was perfect timing to celebrate and acknowledge the senior class. 

“[Senior night] is really sweet. I mean, it made me cry,” Kilgore said.

Catch the girls’ varsity team on the San Rafael pool deck for their next game on Thursday, Oct. 19th!

Aurora Devilbiss grabs the ball with one hand before the TL offender can get to it. (Estelle Smith)
Moments before senior Zoe Zedlitz scores a goal, the ball brushes past the TL goalie’s fingers. (Estelle Smith)