Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

All students need media literacy training
Editorial StaffApril 30, 2024

The moon landing was staged and Apollo 13 never happened. QAnon. PizzaGate. Holocaust deniers. These are just a few of the endless conspiracies...

The Pennant Wall in the College and Career Center shows all the various colleges Redwood students vie for.
FAFSA rollout significantly delayed due to DOE errors
Peter DachtlerApril 30, 2024

Students across the country await for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process to be finished, as this year’s timescale...

Girls’ varsity water polo loses tight game against Marin Catholic

On Thursday, Oct. 11, Redwood girls’ varsity water polo played a close game against Marin Catholic (MC) with an ending score of 5-7. Redwood continued to put up a fight while the teams alternated taking the lead. The team’s energy stayed consistent, showcasing their enthusiasm and endurance throughout the entire game, according to junior and captain Giselle Orson.

Cheering on the sidelines, Redwood players show their spirit (Photo by Lauren Poulin).

“Once the game started, our team was working really cohesively… . I think this is one of the best games we’ve had this season because when they scored, we didn’t let it get to us. We worked really hard, we held our ground and I’m proud of how we played,” Orson said.

During the second quarter, a shot by Orson gained Redwood a 2-1 lead, until MC followed up with two shots, leaving 10 seconds until halftime. Orson scored a skillful goal from half court with only 1 second left to the end of the quarter, allowing Redwood to tie MC 3-3. In the third and fourth quarters, back and forth goals between the teams were made, including one by junior Annabelle Kilgore.

In the end, despite a block preventing MC from scoring another point by Kilgore, Redwood was defeated by MC with a final score of 5-7. Senior captain Zoe Zedlitz spoke to how the team could enhance their performance for the following games.

“I think we can improve with our shots. A lot of them hit the bar and almost [went] in [the goal] but if we took the extra second, it could be [a] stronger, more placed [shot],” Zedlitz said. 

Launching the ball, Giselle Orson throws an overhead shot towards the goal (Photo by Lauren Poulin).

Orson discussed the challenge that MC posed during the game, as well as potential changes that could be implemented for Redwood to improve in the future.

“We still struggle a lot with safe passes [and] good shots. I think the more technical we can get with our play, the better we will become,” said Orson. “MC [is] really fast, they’re determined and those girls are conditioned. You can definitely see that in their play. Maybe not this season, but next season, I want our team to implement more weight room and conditioning, because [MC] was able to keep their stamina throughout the whole game and that’s something that we could benefit from.”

Redwood girls’ varsity water polo will go head-to-head with Terra Linda at a home game on Oct. 17 at 4 p.m.