Racing to the finish line, junior Marley Nacco places first in her heat for the 1600 with a time of 5:21:06.
Photo Essay: Track and field dominates MCAL Trials
Emily BlockMay 3, 2024

On May 2, the varsity track and field team headed to San Rafael High School for the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) trials. The meet...

Illustration by Charlotte Wilson
Student Phones: Addictive by Design
Elle WilsonMay 2, 2024

After a long day of school and a tiring field hockey practice, I arrive home. I have a test tomorrow and a pile of homework waiting for me....

Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Swing by the parks near Redwood

If you’re looking to spend time outdoors, there are a wide variety of parks surrounding Redwood that all have unique qualities and offer a multitude of activities for those of all ages. From tennis courts to skate parks, these parks have it all. 

Playing soccer is one of the many activities that kids can enjoy at Town Park.

Town Park: Town Park has many unique offerings like tennis courts, sport games, open fields and a jungle gym. It’s only a nine-minute car ride or a 23-minute walk from campus. This spacious park is often filled with a variety of activities whether it be barbecues, birthdays or soccer games. The two tennis courts are also frequently used, especially with pickleball rising in popularity, so you might be waiting a while until it’s your turn to play. For the skaters, scooterists and bikers, there is a skate park, but it is usually filled with beginners. While there is plenty of action and excitement, if you want a quiet place to study or read a book under a tree, this park is not the place for you. 

Spacious Piper Park is filled with tennis courts, dog parks, fields and a jungle gym for all to enjoy.

Piper Park: Piper Park is known to many high schoolers as a parking option, but it has a lot more to offer. It’s a quick seven-minute walk and under a minute drive from Redwood. This park has four tennis courts, compared to Town Park’s two. If playing tennis is what you want to do, then Piper Park is right up your alley. This location is also very spacious, which makes it ideal for hosting parties or running wild. One thing that makes Piper especially appealing is the new dog park which has separate small and large areas that are perfect for dogs of all sizes. 

Dolliver Park: Dolliver Park, more commonly known as Dark Park, is located in Madrone Canyon. Dark Park gets its name from the Redwood trees that surround it and create a dimmed area. The walk from Redwood takes around 23 minutes and the drive is about four minutes, similar to Town Park. This park has limited space, but is filled with play structures that are perfect for younger kids. On hot days, the trees provide cover and the creek serves as a place to cool off. The picnic tables also allow for families and friends to gather on sunny days.

The secluded Dolliver Park is a hit for families.

Town Park, Piper Park and Dolliver Park all offer a variety of outdoor activities. If you are looking to play tennis, watch sports or have a picnic, there is a park near Redwood for you.