Sexual misconduct and the Redwood outlook

Hailey Carlton

What is happening in our world?

Sexual misconduct is defined as a non-consensual sexual action that threatens the wellbeing of another person. Sexual misconduct is prevalent in our society; it is something that happens often and is occasionally hidden by our community. Marin County is considered to lay inside “a bubble;” oftentimes we don’t see what occurs in the outside world, or even in our own social circle. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN), “Every sixty-eight seconds another American is sexually assaulted.” RAINN illustrates that on average, 1,270 people are sexually assaulted each day. 

Schools are the primary place where sexual misconduct occurs due to constant interaction between students. Students are often pressured into inappropriate situations including sexual, verbal, and physical misconduct, often instigated upon underage girls. One in every seven girls and one in every twenty-five boys have experienced sexual misconduct according to RAINN. This number continues to increase each year due to the lack of official action from the government and school officials. It was reported by the County of Marin headquarters that there are 35 cases of sexual misconduct reported each year, as of 2021. Considering the extensive cover-ups regarding sexual assault and the silence some victims hold when too afraid to speak up, it is crucial to share the importance of this topic and the impact it can have on our society. 

How do Redwood students feel about sexual misconduct? 

When asked how prevalent sexual misconduct is at Redwood, sophomore Alex Sumski said that it’s more common than people realize.

“I think [sexual misconduct] happens all the time and people don’t realize it’s happening. Whether it’s something super big, like someone raping someone, or it’s small, like comments or people touching people without consent, it’s definitely still very prevalent,” Sumski said. 

Many times society hides the flaws of people in our community, often starting with a mistake or a wrongdoing a person may account for. These faults are masked because they don’t want to be seen as a predator or face various consequences. Oftentimes, harmful actions done by friends or family will be actively concealed by a person due to their motivation to protect them, although disguising these behaviors can do more harm than good in our community. 

“We need to bring [sexual misconduct] to light. [Regarding] all the people that are doing these things, what we need to do is punish them for that and inform people about the many different types of sexual misconduct.” Sumski said. 

People need to understand that sexual misconduct does occur in Marin, and when it does, we need to face it with full force. 

When asked what Redwood could do about sexual misconduct, junior Calvin Tudor addressed the issue through education. 

“I think freshman year is a perfect time to talk about this because you’re learning about similar things in social issues [classes]. It would be a perfect addition to the unit and what you should and shouldn’t do regarding sexual misconduct.” Tudor said. 

Discussing sexual misconduct in high schools will raise awareness and help students understand and respond to misconduct when it occurs.

Sumski believes that teachers play an important role in addressing sexual misconduct. 

“Teachers need to do something when hearing or seeing something going on. I’ve had experiences where there’s people saying comments about other people, whether it’s about their race or their body. They just turn a blind eye to it, which is really making the whole situation worse because it shows people that that’s okay todo. I think [if] a teacher, or even if students sees it, they should be saying something and bring it to other people’s attention so they can be punished for what they’re doing wrong.” Sumski said. 

Sexual misconduct is never the victim’s fault; it can always be obstructed, and those subjected to assault can always be supported by someone stepping in. 

Why does this matter?

Sexual misconduct can cause profound and long-lasting effects, shattering a person’s mentality and emotional well-being, to which then they will have the burden of carrying the debt of someone else’s misbehavior for the rest of their lives. Daisy Coleman was a sexual assault victim and subject of the documentary, Audrie and Daisy, for which she received a Cinema Eye Honor. Coleman was the co-founder of the non-profit organization, SafeBAE, which was aimed at preventing sexual assault in schools. Coleman took her life eight years after being raped at 14 years old by a fellow student, Matthew Barnett. She struggled with mental health and was terrorized for speaking out. Coleman faced so much bullying that she eventually changed schools and her family moved to another neighborhood. After this, their house was burned down and the harassment continued at her new school, with one student even wearing a shirt that read, “Matt 1, Daisy 0.” 

For those who have faced experiences like Coleman, it is important that we raise awareness about the impact sexual misconduct has on one’s mental health. “Thirty-three percent of rape victims have contimplated commiting suicide” the Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault states. Understanding the effects of sexual misconduct on mental health can create mental stability and lifelong success for survivors of assault in a life changing way. As a society we need to observe these matters in a serious light, and reflect on how to learn from these experiences in the future.