Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

New concert venue opens temporarily in America’s Cup Park

The arrival of the 34th America’s Cup in San Francisco brought more than just sailing entertainment to the city.

The America’s Cup and Live Nation, a live-events company, are in the midst of running the America’s Cup Concert Series at the America’s Cup Pavilion, a temporary 9,000 seat outdoor concert venue, located between Piers 27 and 29.

moreacupsWEB

The series, comprised of 19 shows of various genres, which started at the end of May, about a month before the official opening of the race, will conclude on October 12.

Senior Cassie Prodger attended the first show of the series, Imagine Dragons, on May 31. Prodger said the venue had a huge impact the overall feeling.

“The experience was so much more lively than other concerts I’ve been to,” Prodger said. “I liked being outside better. It was around sunset when they started, so it was really pretty to be sitting at a concert basically on the water watching the sunset.”

Prodger said the only downside to the concert was the small capacity.

“It was kind of crowded, to be honest,” she said. “There was almost no place to put your feet, or elbow room, but you definitely forgot about that once the concert actually started. It was just hectic at the beginning is all.”

Senior Chace Schornstein attended one of the later shows on Aug. 11 featuring Train, with Gavin DeGraw and The Script.

Unlike Prodger, Schornstein saw the venue’s small size as a positive.

“The concert was really good and a really cool experience,” Schornstein said. “The new America’s Cup Pavilion was a cool atmosphere, and the fact that it was outside and pretty small made it pretty intimate. And even though it was outside, there wasn’t any outside noise, which was great.”

The concert series has also included shows from variety of artists, from Grammy award-winning comedy duo Cheech & Chong to the trio The Jonas Brothers.

Part of the proceeds from all of the ticket sales for the series went to local charities, with each charity varying from show to show.

Proceeds from the Train concert were given to Family House, a charity chosen by the band   that serves to provide physical comfort and emotional support for the families of children with life-threatening illnesses.

Other charities donated to include ArtSpan, a nonprofit organization that connects the public to visual arts in San Francisco, as well as the Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors.

Six more shows are scheduled before the conclusion of the series. The anticipated performers include Sammy Hagar and the Wabos, Journey, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Fall Out Boy with Panic! At the Disco, and The Lumineers. The final show, which will take place on Oct. 12, will be performed by the Avett Brothers.