Internship sign-ups ending Friday

This Friday, Sept. 13  is the last day to sign up for a fall internship through the College and Career Center.

The internship center, located in Rm. 114, is a place where students can meet  internship adviser Greg Davison to discuss opportunities for gaining work experience.

This past summer, many upperclassmen received internships through Davison, who is at the internship center at Redwood every Tuesday. His program requires the students to attend a three-hour long internship class, once a week. They discus proper professional behavior and other formalities relating to internships.

Junior Vicky Park and senior Jackson Cooney both visited Davison last spring in search of internships.

“The first step is to turn in an application to him and then he will notify you,” Park said. “People usually know what they want to do and where they want to go.”

However if a student is in need of direction, Davison has a 5-inch binder full of different kinds of internship ideas on his desk that students can look through if they don’t know what they are looking for, according to Park.

“Mr. Davison asked me originally what I thought I would be interested in, what kind of internships and so I said something with business or a vet,” Cooney said. “He showed me a couple of internships and I decided the vet one sounded the most interesting.”

Cooney interned with the VCA Madera Pet Hospital located in Corte Madera, where he observed surgeries, checkups, and vaccinations for mostly dogs and cats. He said watching the surgeries were the coolest part of his internship, even though he didn’t get to touch anything.

“I got to see this surgery called the TBLL, which was basically an ACL surgery on a human but for a dog,” Cooney said.

He added that talking to the people who worked there was also another plus of the internship.

Cooney worked twice a week for eight hours from June through August.

According to Cooney, it wasn’t hard to get an internship.

“Mr. Davison suggested the internships for me to choose from and he set me up with the supervisor so I just had to call her and she already knew I was going to be calling her,” he said.

Park, however, had a little more difficulty finding an internship. She didn’t initially get the internship when she first applied last year in the fall, but did when she re-applied last summer.

Park ended up interning at the Marin General Hospital’s Radiology department. She worked three times a week for six weeks, for a total of over 54 hours.

Park mostly observed all of the procedures through the department as well. Her supervisor told her each day’s plan.

“I felt like they actually treated me like an employee there,” Park said.