Preps of the year: Olivia Konttinen

oliviaweb

“The first time I played MC freshman year, the team was so fired up and their energy was amazing. I scored two goals that night and I just remember feeling really accomplished because as a freshman there’s so much to prove to the older girls,” Olivia Konttinen said describing one of her most memorable high school soccer games.

Konttinen said they won that game 2-0.

“That game was my second favorite high school soccer moment,” she said.

Her first favorite came this year when she led her team to an MCAL championship over their rivals, Marin Catholic. Being both the team’s and MCAL’s highest scorer, Konttinen was named to the MCAL all-league first team for the second consecutive year.

Konttinen has played on the varsity soccer team for three years, only taking a break from Redwood soccer her sophomore year to play for a team in Sacramento that competed in the Elite Clubs National League (ECNL).

According to Konttinen, playing in the ECNL was the most competitive team environment she has experienced, because of the intensity level and the time commitment it required.

“You love your team, but you’re competing with them for your starting spot,”  she said.  “Which made it really fun for me.”

Unlike her role as team captain for Redwood this year, Konttinen was never able to assume a leadership position on her ECNL team because she was playing with the grade level above her.

“At Redwood, this year was the first time I had to assume a leadership role. Stepping up into that senior captain role this year took me a few weeks to get used to it and embrace it,” she said.

Konttinen will be attending UCSB next year and said that she is still deciding if she will continue her soccer career in college.