Former coach and mentor Al-Endriss looking off into the distance
Baseball Roots Reimagined: From Players to Coaches
Reece Mori-Prange and Jack BlockApril 17, 2024

Redwood baseball is a program built to win games, award hard work and develop skills that set players up for future success. Coaches Bill Benz,...

Charlotte FishburneApril 16, 2024

Fast Thrifting: How fast fashion continues to harm thrift stores

Across the nation, billions of dollars are spent annually on clothing from local thrift stores. This eco-friendly method of clothing resale has...

Review: On the Road

“There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.”

“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.”

– Jack Kerouac; On the Road (The Viking Press: 1957)

The concept of a film adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s iconic novel, On the Road,  has been mused over by screenwriters and filmmakers for decades, dating back to when Kerouac himself wrote a letter to actor Marlon Brando in 1957 asking him to co-star in a film version of the novel.

Although Brando never accepted the role, the project finally came together in 2010, and was put into wide release on March 22, 2013.

Running 139 minutes long, On the Road, directed by Brazilian director Walter Salles (The Motorcycle Diaries), takes you on a rollercoaster ride of raw excitement and exuberance.  However, it quickly dives into segments of semi-engaging dialogue and exhausting motion which may leave you feeling enthused and dizzy.

The film follows young writer, Sal Paradise (the alter-ego of real life Kerouac, played by Sam Riley), his wild-hearted and charismatic counterpart, Dean Moriarty (Garrett Hedlund, Tron: Legacy), and his other friends as they embark on travels across the United States between 1947 and the early 1950s.

The reasoning behind the film’s R rating becomes apparent early on into the film as the characters begin to delve deeper into the beat scene surrounding late‘40s Denver and San Francisco where nudity and drug use progressively begin to litter the screen.

Though the film seems to ramble on in plotless bursts of romantically-charged artistic imagery, those who are famiar with the novel will recognize that it makes a noble attempt at coherently bringing to life a story that is in actuality just as all over the place.

The fact that the filmmakers decided to stick with the plot (or lack thereof) similar to the original text leaves the audience without a sense of any real climax, but more an over-arching feeling of wonder and hopefully a new appreciation of life.

Making up for the sporadic and sometimes confusing energy of the story, the picture quality adds a vibrance that was previously unattainable through the book. The deep colors and expansive sceneries provide a near-dreamlike romanticism of the mid-20th century post-war world, which keeps one’s eyes intrigued and engaged.

With support from the likes of Kristen Stewart, Kirsten Dunst, Amy Adams, and Viggo Mortensen, the acting is good, but not amazing. Riley and Hedlund quickly take control of the screen and keep the audience focused for the majority of the film. The mostly-recognizable cast makes for enjoyable characters, as this is a different style film for most of the actors mentioned.

On the Road receives a solid 3.5 stars out of five, a definite green light for someone looking for excitement and has a few hours to spare for an adventure of their own – but make sure to do it before it’s too late!

On the Road is now playing at the Rafael Theatre, Embarcadero Center Cinema, and Sundance Kabuki Cinema.