Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

The strings on Congressman Jared Huffman’s racket break as he returns a serve from senior Jackson Sichel.
Congressman Jared Huffman visits boys’ varsity tennis practice after MCAL championship
Matthew KnauerApril 28, 2024

The boys’ varsity tennis team has enjoyed an eventful past two weeks. On Wednesday, April 17, they beat the Archie Williams Falcons 7-0...

Kid Cudi’s new album creative but disappointing

Kid Cudis new album creative but disappointing

Earlier this month, Kid Cudi announced his surprising departure from Kanye West’s label, G.O.O.D. Music, and his plan to embark on a solo journey. When Cudi announced Indicud last year, he said that his upcoming album would resemble Dr. Dre’s classic The Chronic 2001. Similarly to Dre, Cudi planned on producing the album alone and featuring a variety of artists. However, Indicud is no 2001.

Cudi’s decision to act as the project’s sole producer might not have been the best. He simply lacked the production skills necessary to drop a classic album. The album did not feature a wide variety of artists, only four other rappers. In trying to morph together the two musical sounds from his past, rap and rock, Cudi produced an album like The Chronic 2001 on acid.

Cudi’s lack of experience in production holds Indicud back from being the breakout album that he had hyped it up to be. The beats throughout the album are either very monotonous or erratic at times, which cause the lyrics to get swallowed up in the boring and annoying noise.

The highly anticipated song “Solo Dolo Part II” serves as the perfect example of the lack of experienced production. With the help of producers Emile and Dot da Genius, who produced the standout track “Solo Dolo” on Cudi’s debut album, it would have been possible for Cudi to create a compelling sequel to his first song. But instead, the galactic-sounding beat somehow manages to ruin Kendrick Lamar’s highly anticipated verse.

However, these basic drumbeats do enhance several of the songs, allowing the vocals to shine. Maybe this is his point, to let the lyrics speak for themselves.

The problem is that the lyrics contain nothing significant. With Cudi, you can always expect to hear the exact same messages and subject matter — depression. Nothing about his lyrics is powerful.

Once again, for the umpteenth time in Cudi’s career, he only spits flows about being depressed and being carefree of all criticism. Titles of songs such as “Unf-ckwittable,” “Just What I Am,” and “Lord of the Sad and Lonely” pretty much tell it all. It was genius the first couple times in his debut mix tape A Kid Named Cudi and his debut album Man on the Moon: The End of the Day. However, in order to thrive in the long run, he must learn to adapt his lyrics and subject matter with time.

Although Indicud initially disappointed me and failed to live up to its hype, it gets an A-plus for creativity. Time after time Cudi manages to work on these indie projects, regardless of any mainstream criticism. Cudi challenges himself by taking on an entirely new skill-set and concept rather than sticking to the same sounds and musical moods that his Man on the Moon albums consist of. Indicud will definitely grow on me, simply because it is an album with a lot of material to soak in.