Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Tac-o the town: Marin’s best taquerias

With the recent closure of the Kentfield Taqueria Mexican Grill de Marin, you might be wondering where to turn for high-quality Mexican food.  But look no further- the Bark recently sampled some of the best local Mexican restaurants.  Many aspects of these taquerias were taken into account, including taste of food, portion size, price, service, and quality of ingredients.

taqueria-web

Taqueria San Jose-3 Stars

Located on Fourth Street under the Highway 101 overpass in San Rafael, Taqueria San Jose is probably the most authentic taqueria in Marin. The food is inexpensive considering the large portions – it’s very possible to walk in with five bucks and leave stuffed.  This can be partially attributed to the free salsa bar.  The salsa is on the mild side but doesn’t lack in flavor.
The horchata, a cinnamon beverage, is highly recommended.  It is extremely sweet and does a good job balancing a meal’s spicy flavor.  If you order a burrito, prepare to be served a mountain of food wrapped in a tortilla.  Although the portions are large, the quality of the food is only slightly above average and often flavorless.  The service is relatively fast, especially considering how crowded the place can get.  At this taqueria, you get more than what you pay for, so if quantity over quality is what you’re looking for, choose Taqueria San Jose.

Burritoville Cafe-3.5 Stars

Due to its convenient location in downtown Larkspur and its speedy service, Burritoville is a great lunch spot during the school week.  It goes back to the basics of quality service with quick and easy orders.  They cook the food in plain sight and deliver it to you in a hurry.
The tacos, while small, are filled with meat that is both juicy and flavorful compared to the dry, flavorless meat that is served at Taqueria San Jose.  The burritos are fairly large compared to most items on the menu and have a good balance of fillings compared to Taqueria Picante, which uses too much rice.  The restaurant’s menu is somewhat limited and charges extra for chips, which is disappointing and unexpected for first time visitors.

Taqueria Mi Pueblo-4 Stars

If you’re looking for the highest-quality tacos and burritos for a reasonable price, Mi Pueblo is the place to go.  The menu at is larger and more diverse than most local taquerias and every selection on menu is flavorful, filling, and relatively inexpensive.  As a nice bonus, free chips and salsa are served while you wait for your meal.
The chips are warm and fresh and the salsa is both smoky and spicy.  Mi Pueblo added a salsa bar in the past year, which has a large variety of flavors.  Prepare to use a fork and knife if you order a burrito because many of them come covered in a hot “burrito sauce.”  The meat in the burritos is seasoned to perfection and the ratio of other fillings is well-balanced. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, and the atmosphere is great for families.  However, it is often crowded, and getting your food can take a while.  This makes take-out a good option, which is very convenient if you’re in a hurry.
Located in downtown San Anselmo, this place has a very homey atmosphere, but parking is limited and it can be difficult to find a spot.

Picante-3 Stars

Located in San Rafael’s Canal District, Taqueria Picante is a roomy restaurant with traditional decor including authentic murals and tranquil music.  The staff is friendly and accommodating but the restaurant often seems understaffed.  It will likely take a while to get your food, especially around lunchtime as this place is a popular lunch spot for San Rafael residents.
The menu is fairly extensive and each selection has several variations.  The carnitas tacos are juicy, flavorful, and are generously piled with meat and other toppings for a very reasonable price. Compared to other local taquerias, these carnitas tacos are far superior due to their melt-in-your-mouth texture and high-quality seasoning.  The tacos are recommended over the burritos which are kind of bland and have unbalanced rice-to-meat rations.  If you’re in the neighborhood, stop by and try it out, otherwise you can likely find a better, more conveniently located restaurant with better food for a cheaper price.