Gazing across the array of trucks, one customer searches for their cuisine of choice.
SoMa StrEat Food Park: Family-friendly dining steps away from your favorite stadiums
Zoe GisterApril 26, 2024

Nestled within Mission Bay, San Francisco runs a food court like no other. SoMa StrEat Food Park presents an opportunity to truly experience...

Tony Harvey: The face behind the scoreboard
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Those who attend the many sporting events here may not think about the work behind the scoreboard. However, behind the ever-changing numbers...

Bowl from Juice Girl, topped with sweet fruit and coconut flakes
Exploring the Açai scene: A taste of Marins’ most popular spots
Hilah Brekhus-LavinskyApril 26, 2024

After the brutal loss of Corte Madera’s Ohana Açaí Cafe, students desperately search for the next best option to satisfy their intense açaí...

Recipes for success: four meals to make in your dorm

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 10.04.23 AM

For students who are heading off to college for the first time, the idea of having a home-cooked meal in a dorm room seems far fetched. Cafeterias aren’t always open, so when you’re faced with that all-nighter and need some nutrients, look no further than these four recipes. Each one can be made in under 10 minutes in any dorm room or building and requires no more than a microwave, some easy ingredients and something to eat it on; whether that’s your textbook or a paper towel, the choice is yours.

Pizza quesadilla

pizza before

There are some staples of college life that will never fall out of style. Pizza is one of those staples. If you don’t have a wood burning oven or an artisanal pizza stone, resist your urge to call Domino’s. This recipe combines two of the world’s greatest creations, pizza and quesadillas, in perfect harmony. Go ahead, tell your World Cultures professor that you no longer need that trip abroad to Italy with a connecting flight through Mexico City! You’ll have already taken your taste buds on that journey with the help of this basic and fast recipe.

INGREDIENTS

2 tortillas

2 tbsp tomato sauce

¾ cup mozzarella cheese or enough to cover surface of tortilla, shredded

¼ cup pepperoni slices

¼ cup bell peppers, chopped

DIRECTIONS

Spread the tomato sauce evenly across one side of a tortilla. Layer on mozzarella cheese, chopped bell peppers and pepperoni evenly, followed by a final sprinkle of cheese before placing the second tortilla on top. Place microwave safe plate on top of the quesadilla and microwave for one minute or until the cheese is completely melted. Cut into fourths and allow to cool for one to two minutes before eating.

Breakfast burrito

burrito

If you can’t make it to the chaotic dining hall before your morning class, try whipping up this satisfying breakfast burrito. With protein, healthy oils and a touch of vegetables, this burrito will give you a quick and healthy start to your busy day. If you opt to add hot sauce, the spice is guaranteed to wake you up in time for that 9 a.m. class you regret taking. The best part? California-born students get a taste of home with fresh avocado slices.

INGREDIENTS

1 tortilla

1 egg

½ avocado, sliced

3 tbsp red bell peppers, diced

Salt and pepper

4 tbsp mozzarella cheese, shredded

Hot sauce (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Beat one egg in a microwave safe bowl until light and fluffy. Add one tablespoon of cheese into the egg mixture, along with a dash of salt and pepper. Place in the microwave and cook for at least one minute and 10 seconds, or until the eggs are cooked to your preference. Set the eggs aside to finish cooking in the bowl for one minute. Meanwhile, warm the tortilla in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Line the inside of the tortilla with the remaining three tablespoons of cheese, then top with the hot egg, chopped bell peppers and avocado slices. Finish with hot sauce and/or salt to taste, then roll into a burrito, folding the sides inward to create a quick, easy meal before class!

Three-minute brown rice and edamame with pineapple

Brown rice

This simple and healthy lunch takes less than five minutes to prepare and can also serve as a delicious snack for later. The brown rice, while a simple ingredient, not only satisfies your savory cravings when combined with the teriyaki or soy sauce, but also fills your stomach with healthy grains. The edamame beans, which are soybeans, provide you with essential proteins while the tangy pineapple chunks give you a kick of flavorful vitamin C. This meal is a must-have to keep your energy up during those long, sleepy lectures.

INGREDIENTS

¼ cup edamame beans

1 cup instant brown rice

3 tsp water

2 tsp teriyaki or soy sauce

¼ cup pineapple, cut into small chunks

DIRECTIONS

Mix the water in with the rice in the bowl. Add in the edamame beans and cover the mug with a microwave-safe plate or a damp paper towel. Microwave until all the water has been absorbed, about 1 ½ minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir in teriyaki or soy sauce until evenly mixed. Add the sliced pineapple and enjoy while hot!

Puppy chow

puppy chow

Missing your dog while you’re away at school? Puppy chow is the perfect way to cope with missing your pups. Even if you don’t have a dog, this recipe is guaranteed to melt your heart while it melts in your mouth. Share this delicious dessert with friends, or hide it from your roommate in your closet. Either way, puppy chow will always be a crowd pleaser; you can almost be sure that if you bring a bag of this good stuff to your professor, they’ll excuse you from the final.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup chocolate chips

3-4 cups golden grahams cereal

½ cup peanut butter

1 ½ cups powdered sugar

Large, sealable plastic baggy

DIRECTIONS

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave by heating them in a microwave safe bowl in 20 second increments, stopping to stir the chocolate after each increment in the microwave to ensure it doesn’t burn, otherwise known as tempering the chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the peanut butter until completely combined. Then, pour the mixture over the Golden Grahams in a medium sized bowl and mix carefully so as not to break the cereal until the mixture is evenly dispersed all over. While still warm, transfer the chocolate covered cereal into a large sealable baggy and add in the powdered sugar. Seal the baggy and shake the puppy chow vigorously in circular motions, holding two corners of the bag as you shake. Continue shaking until the powdered sugar has completely covered the cereal, then transfer to a bowl. Chow down, puppies.