Gia Ristorante Italiano brings Italy to Larkspur through authentic pastas

Upon entering Gia Ristorante Italiano, one cannot help but feel as if they are walking into their good friend’s house for a night of phenomenal pasta, good conversation and laughter. The restaurant, located in downtown Larkspur, has been open for a little more than a month but has already become a popular spot for both lunch and dinner alike. With dim lighting and one room for inside seating (outside and patio seating are available as well), Gia Ristorante Italiano has an intimate setting and is the perfect place for a romantic dinner. The kitchen is not hidden away, and customers can watch as the chef and cooks delicately prepare meals behind the black granite counter.

With the owner and head chef hailing from Italy, the fresh artisan pasta has a truly authentic taste and is by far one of the best foods on the menu. The restaurant offers heavier pastas loaded with rich flavor, and lighter pasta options, typically with seafood. The Tagliatella Al Pescatora ($21.95) is a light pasta with mussels, clams, true cod and prawns soaked in san marzano sauce. This pasta is on the spicier side, but the spices complement the thick noodles and garlic while not distracting from the meal itself. The seafood is definitely the highlight of the dish, with the savory clams stealing the show and creating a fantastic combination of delicate and hearty.

The menu has many lighter pastas such as the Tagliatella Al Pescatora
The menu has many lighter pastas such as the Tagliatella Al Pescatora.

The Pappardelle Al Ragu D’Agnello ($19) is a heavier pasta with New Zealand lamb ragu. The sauce is the best part of the dish and the slight red wine reduction in the sauce accompanies the lamb nicely. The noodles are huge with smooth surfaces, and show the positive attributes handmade pasta has in both taste and quality. However, the lamb has a strange, lingering aftertaste and can be very thick, difficult to chew and stringy at times.

For appetizers, the Porchetta Romana ($15.95) was served on a beautiful wooden platter with pork, focaccia and mixed greens. The focaccia, crispy on the outside and wonderfully fluffy on the inside, was topped with pork which was slightly dry, and needed a dressing to moisten it and add more flavor. Despite the dryness, the rosemary on the meat was an excellent choice by the chef, for it added a distinct taste that went well with the other items on the platter such as the  arugula, which had a bitter taste that was slightly offset by the delectable dressing. The Broccoli Aglio e Olio ($7) was an amazing side of pan-sauteed broccoli with slight garlic. With an extraordinary taste, this dish had a perfect amount of garlic that complimented the broccoli and didn’t overwhelm the dish.

The Porchetta Romana has a generous portion size despite being an appetizer.

Gia Ristorante Italiano is definitely on the expensive side, with menu items ranging from $6 for sides to $33 for certain meat dishes. However, the portions are generous and service is great, with waiters being both friendly and efficient. The downside to having such a small  location is that the tables are cramped together in some parts of the restaurant, and during peak dining times the restaurant can be crowded and noisy.

Overall, Gia Ristorante Italiano has praiseworthy, authentic Italian food along with a charming atmosphere that is great for a special occasion or a date night.