Mac Miller shows emotional side in soulful new album

Mac Miller’s latest album, “Divine Feminine,” shies away from his usual hip hop style, revealing a surprising strength in his vocals.

Miller’s sensitive tracks express his love for his significant other, Ariana Grande, as well as lessons from past relationships. His album is as close to “divine” as Miller has ever been.

“Divine Feminine” balances pop and soul in its tracks, which feature artists that contrast Miller’s raspy voice, including stars such as CeeLo Green, Kendrick Lamar, Ty Dolla $ign, and even Grande in a romantic duet with Miller. “Divine Feminine” has reached #2 on Billboard’s Top 200, so it’s safe to say that a break from rap, since his last album “GO:OD AM,” has treated Miller’s career well.

Miller announced the release of the album in mid-July with his debut single, “Dang!” featuring Anderson.Paak. The single hinted at Miller’s relationship with an unknown girl, leaving fans waiting in anticipation for the remainder of the album.

With a unique 1980s disco beat integrated into the song, it served as an appropriate hit  to excite his fans.

WITH HEIGHTENED SENSITIVITY, Mac Miller’s album “The Divine Feminine” highlights his love for Ariana Grande and reflects on his previous love.

In one of Miller’s more sentimental tracks, “Soulmate,” he refers to an unhealthy relationship he once had, and reveals his true feelings toward the relationship when he says, “I try to make you feel okay/ Do you know I’m in pain?/ I get you close, you misconstrue/ You continue to push me far away/ Why don’t you come on in?”

Although the recording included emotional lyrics that his audience could relate to, the song itself was one that could have been left out of the album, due to he combination of multiple beats clashing together, therefore resulting in an unappealing sound.

Two other single hits in the album include “We,” featuring Cee Lo Green, and “My Favorite Part,” featuring Ariana Grande.

The latter evoked praise from fans, as it was the first song the two had released as a couple.

In “We,” the background melodies from Green’s distinct voice accompanied by electric guitar riffs allowed the true grit of Miller’s vocals be a strong aspect of the song, which is a quality that makes the track among the best within the album.

Miller stressed his struggles and insecurities from rejection in attempts to find a relationship, which added to the emotional characteristic of the song.

In “My Favorite Part,” Miller serenades Grande, referring to her as “maybe being the one,” which adds a romantic aspect to the song. Grande’s voice has a powerful Mariah Carey-esque quality which contrasts Miller’s vocals.

A track that didn’t receive nearly enough recognition was “Stay.” This song diverges from other recordings on the album in terms of the variance of its beats.

With a powerful R&B trumpet background contrasting with an upbeat tempo, it relates to Miller’s message of uncertainty in his relationships.

The only aspect lacking in this album is the diversity of the beats and lyrics.

A majority of the songs, such as “Soulmate” and “Congratulations,” have a predominantly slow tempo, which makes the whole album feel repetitive.

Additionally, Miller occasionally veered overboard with sappy lyrics such as “you know I know who you really are/ the universe couldn’t keep us apart/ Why would they even try?” from “My Favorite Part,” referring to his relationship with Grande.

There is certainly room for improvement in terms of mixing up the beats in each track.

However, it is a challenge to change one’s entire vocal style and Miller put forth a commendable effort. This album has the potential to redefine Miller’s career.