Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Local usage of ADHD medication extends past national levels

A November Bark survey that sampled 10% of the student body showed surprisingly high numbers of students who take ADHD drugs without a prescription.
According to the survey, 20.6% of Redwood students have taken an ADHD medication non-medically.

A 2011 national survey by the University of Michigan showed that 9% of sophomores and 12.2% of seniors have taken ADHD drugs without a prescription, compared to 12.5% of Redwood sophomores and 40% of Redwood seniors.

The survey showed that the abuse of the drug increased by grade level. When asked if they have ever taken ADHD drugs without a prescription, 5% of freshman boys, 15% of sophomore boys, 30% of junior boys, and 55% of senior boys answered yes. A similar trend appeared in the girls: 5% of freshmen girls, 10% of sophomore girls, 20% of junior girls, and 25% of senior girls answered yes.

A trend in gender was also prevalent. According to the survey, 26.25% of boys and 15% of girls have taken ADHD drugs without a prescription. Additionally, 55% of senior boys said that they have taken ADHD drugs non-medically, compared to 25% of senior girls.

Fewer students said that they have taken the drug without a prescription in the past 30 days. Overall, 6.25% of Redwood students said they have taken the drug in the past 30 days, of which 0% were freshmen.

Students were also asked about the availability of the drugs. 52.5% of students said it would be “fairly easy” or “very easy” to get ADHD drugs without a prescription, if they wanted them.

Additionally, 50% of sophomores and 62.5% of seniors said that it would be “fairly easy” or “very easy” to get ADHD drugs without a prescription. This compares to the national survey in which 28.5% of sophomores and 58.8% of seniors nationwide said that the drug would be “fairly easy” or “very easy” to get.