Lettuce brings raw, organic funk to Terrapin Crossroads

Tenor+saxophonist+Ryan+Zoidis+jams+out.+
Tenor saxophonist Ryan Zoidis jams out.

The renowned funk band Lettuce stopped by Terrapin Crossroads’ Grate Room on Feb. 10 and delivered fresh, uncut funk. The group’s lively set, combined with the tightly packed, intimate atmosphere of the venue, made the show captivating.

The Boston-based group consists of members Erick Coomes (bass), Adam Deitch (percussion), Neal Evans (organ), Eric Krasno (guitar), Ryan Zoidis (saxophone), Eric Bloom (trumpet) and guest singer Nigel Hall.

Lettuce’s appearance at Terrapin came in the midst of its Winter 2016 tour, which followed the release of its third studio album, “Crush”. Released in November 2015, the album reached No. 1 on the U.S. Jazz Albums chart.

The sextet served up a groovy, danceable set combining its new and old hits. Each instrumentalist’s stage presence and dance moves rubbed off onto the audience, making the experience feel like a Bee Gees show from the late ‘70s.

Lettuce came out with guns blazing, opening with “The Dump,” from the group’s first studio album. Leaving little time between songs, the band kept the ball rolling and the energy high throughout its two long sets.

“The Dump” preceded other funky, rhythmic tunes such as “Get Greasy,” “The New Reel,” “Ghost of Jupiter,” and Tears For Fears’ “Everybody Wants to Rule The World,” and “Remember The Children”.

Lettuce’s second set featured several impressive renditions: “The Force,” showcased the group’s fat horn parts; “Neal Untitled,” featured keyboardist Neal Evans’ creativity on the hammond B-3 organ; “Sounds Like a Party,” left the audience permanently grooving.

While many funk groups require a vocalist to connect with their audience, Lettuce was able to keep me interested without one for most of its performance. Lettuce’s intricate horn and bass lines, and Adam Deitch’s percussive prowess made the show enthralling and unique. Additionally, Nigel Hall’s soulful vocals in three songs during the first set gave the instrumentalists a break, and added a new dynamic to the show.

In comparison to the group’s first studio album “Outta Here” in 2002, “Crush” is evidently more in the pocket. It was clear that the sextet prioritized creating an interesting groove over producing a catchy song. Almost every song during the two sets was upward of eight minutes.

Most notable, each instrumentalist not only displayed impressive skill at their respective instrument but also combined with the others to create a pocket that left my body swaying to the rhythm section’s groove.

Drummer Adam Deitch shined, showcasing complex paradiddles and an impeccable sense of rhythm that held together each song. His sound was complemented by bassist Erick Coomes’ playing from the first fret to the twelfth.

On stage and off, it was an all-smiles experience. Lettuce’s positive energy was contagious, and sent me home with my neck bobbing all night until my head hit the pillow.