Construction students Taylor Bridges, Leila Fraschetti, Emmanuel Medina, Mary Coleman and John Kozubik (left to right) applaud their peers as they speak about their appreciation for their teachers and the resources they were provided.
Photo Essay: Redwood ROP Construction Program celebrates graduates
Isabelle Davis May 23, 2024

On May 22, the Redwood Regional Occupational Program Construction Technology celebrated the graduation of 19 Redwood students and...

Marin’s Finest Fairways: Reviewing the best public golf courses
Hayden Donehower May 23, 2024

Tee up for an adventure in Marin County’s vibrant golf scene! Get ready to explore the fairways, traps and views of the best public golf courses....

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Paying the price of adopt vs. shop
Chloe Jennings May 23, 2024

The American population is becoming increasingly aware of ethical considerations around pets. Buying a pet from a breeder versus adopting a pet...

Marin voters elect school board, town council members, approve local measures

Local elections took place in Marin on Tuesday, with 26.26 percent of registered voters casting votes as of press time, according to the Marin County Registrar of Voters.

Some ballots still remain uncounted, and the results will be finalized on Friday.

Long-term board member seats for the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) went to Leslie Lundgren and Barbara A. Owens, who garnered 44.01 and 41.20 percent of the vote, respectively.

Matt Nagle narrowly beat out incumbent Michael Futterman, who had been appointed in 2014, for the seat of short-term TUHSD board member. Nagle received 50.26 percent of the vote while Futterman received 49.29 percent.

The race for Corte Madera Town Council was also close, with Sloan Bailey and James Andrews coming out on top with 35.55 and 32.90 percent of the votes, respectively, defeating Bob Ravasio, who had 31.11 percent of the votes.

Frank Doyle and Erin Tollini won seats on the Tiburon Town Council, each obtaining about 40 percent of the vote, beating out Brian McCullough.

San Anselmo’s Measure D passed with 59.40 percent of the votes. The measure prohibits the use of Memorial Park in San Anselmo as a flood detention basin, and prevents the non-recreational use of Memorial Park if it could negatively affect current recreational uses. The measure also requires that the town get voter approval before selling or transferring the park.

A rival to Measure D that was put on the ballot by the town council, Measure E, was not passed, with 51.98 percent of voters against it. If it had passed, Measure E would have expanded the use of Memorial Park to include flood control, but only if voters then passed another specific plan that underwent environmental review.

The city of Sausalito passed Measure F with 62.71 percent of the vote. With this measure, the city will update Southview Park, Dunphy Park and Martin Luther King Jr. Park in order to comply with current safety standards. It will also repair unsafe playground equipment, add new restrooms, and upgrade other amenities including lighting and pathways. The measure also authorizes wetland restoration.

In San Francisco, the controversial Proposition F did not pass, which would have imposed restrictions on the house rental service Airbnb, such as capping rentals at 75 days a year.