Hitman: Agent 47 fails to impress as video game movie

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox
At first glance, “Hitman: Agent 47” seemed to be a promising thriller full of twists and turns, but  ultimately fails to deliver the elements the audience was expecting.

From the get-go, the viewer may be confused as to why the bald man in the black suit is holding a gun, unsuccessfully trying to appear threatening. “Hitman: Agent 47,” starring Rupert Friend as Agent 47, lacked the elements of rawness and simplicity that comprise an entertaining action movie.

Any sci-fi or action movie lover may find the characters thinly developed, the meaningful acting and dialogue sparse, and the plotline overly complicated for such a simple premise: an invincible, biogenetically engineered “Hitman” attempting to destroy the program that made him who he is now.

One of the biggest issues with “Hitman: Agent 47” was its inability to translate the main idea in a way that was easy to understand. “Hitman: Agent 47” took on its fair share of car chases, shoot-outs, and violence, but failed to stay true to the plotline.

This film contained more than enough guns, clever and snarky comments, clichéd camera angles, a love interest with expected outcomes, stunning locations, and action. Though that’s all it really was: a collection of vignettes that never really grip the audience the way a great action flick should.

If anyone failed to notice, Audi paid a fortune to have their cars appear front and center in virtually every sequence––regardless of whether or not having a car appear made sense in the scene or not. Although “Hitman: Agent 47” was modeled after the Hitman video game series, the amount of times the Audi RS7 showed up on the screen was more than distracting to the audience.

After all, there must be a reason this film received an embarrassing seven percent rating on the “tomatometer” by Rotten Tomatoes, a distinguished movie review website.

Yet for an after-summer August release, it probably could’ve been worse. There was a sensory overload, a convoluted plotline, paper-thin acting, and characters with the utmost unimaginative directing. If you ever have one hour and 48 minutes to waste, “Hitman: Agent 47” is the movie for you!