Senior takes passion for theater to college

Senior Abby Hanssen began her theater career in third grade, acting, singing, and dancing in productions of all genres, showcasing her versatile talents. In the fall, she will attend Boston University’s Theater conservatory.

After she moved to Marin from Charlotte, N.C. in eighth grade, Hanssen performed a few times on stage and then decided to try working behind the scenes as a technical producer.

Senior Abby Hanssen
Senior Abby Hanssen

Hanssen has been involved with multiple Bay Area theater organizations, acting in Throckmorton shows, as well as doing tech work for Marin Summer Theater, the Marin Theater Company, and the Mountain Play.

This summer, she is the Assistant Stage Manager for the Mountain Play, which will be her final theater role prior to college.

“50 [percent of admission] is based on your talent and 50 [percent] is based on your academics, so you have to be academically viable toward the University, and you also have to have the talent to show you can do well,” Hanssen said.

With an intent to major in stage management, Hanssen is already a third of the way through the process of choosing her official route of study in Boston.

“I’m studying technical theater, so I’m studying design and production, and I’m going to be learning about costume design, light design, sound design, and production,” Hanssen said.

After taking general theater classes her freshman year, she will have the opportunity to declare a minor concentration and major concentration within the conservatory.

Hanssen will be taking one writing writing class, and then from 2-10 p.m., she will be working intensively in the theater.

“I’m extremely excited. It’s been my dream to be able to pursue theatre and at college, I’ll be able to devote most of my time to what I love to do and what makes me happy,” Hanssen said.

Hanssen is already signed up to take her one required freshman writing seminar at the University, a class called Boston in Arts and Literature. However, Hanssen is excited to focus most of her time on theater in college.

“I like being backstage,” Hanssen said. “It’s a ridiculous amount of work because [stage managers] are in charge of every technical aspect of the show, but it’s also very fulfilling. It’s really nice to work hard for something you really love.”

Senior Abby Hanssen performs in an EPIC show at Redwood.
Senior Abby Hanssen performs in Legally Blonde, a Throckmorton Theatre production.

Hanssen also expressed her excitement and nerves for working in a college theater setting.

“In the past, it’s been more of trying to figure it out as you go along, and if you need help, then you get help. I’m excited because I’ll finally have specific things that I’ll know how to do,” Hanssen said.

Although Hanssen will be spending most of her waking hours in the theater, she will hold a variety of different responsibilities and positions within the program.

“It’s really important to appreciate all the other jobs that are being done. Freshman year you take a bunch of general theater courses, mostly to gain understanding of everything that there is.” Hanssen said. “I’m most likely not going to go into costume design, but I’m going to take a class in costume design just to see.”

When asked about life after college, Hanssen said she is interested in looking at the spectrum of things she will be able to do with her degree.

“I want to go into theater,” Hanssen said. “I’m not exactly sure what, but you can use the skills that you learn in the project management [field] because it’s such a specialized organization course.”

The management aspect of Hanssen’s declared design and production major allows for a lot of flexibility, she said.

“Whether it’s film or television or theater, you’re learning a bunch of different skills that can be used for different media platforms, and so it really depends on what you want to do with it,” Hanssen said.