Artificial Inteligence : The effect on our generation

After long hours of lectures in class, a science lab to complete, sports practice and extracurriculars, that one math assignment may just be...

Out of stock label teacher drawing
Indah HerzenbergApril 24, 2024

“In the US, there is a projected shortage of over 100,000 teachers by 2024,” stated Simbli, a company that helps to improve school districts...

Respect your teachers: They deserve appreciation

Do you remember those carpets with the alternating multi-colored squares? Do you remember story time when everyone sat down on their favorite color? This was preschool for me, a time when socializing with teachers was like talking to a friend. Our teachers were like our second moms or dads, and most important, our role models.

I remember coming home after school and raving to my mom about the drawings I made and the awesome stories that my teachers told me.

However, in high school, it seems as if many students don’t respect and look up to their teachers. Often, I sit in class and hear classmates speaking rudely about their teachers, complaining about their voices, the amount of time they spend talking, the way they dress, or the amount of homework they give.

When I first heard someone disrespect their teacher, I didn’t really care. It just felt normal for high schoolers to do. People, especially teenagers, are moody, and they sometimes use their complaints to impress their peers. It’s safe to say that most students have said something negative about a teacher at some point.

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 1.35.15 PM

However, as a second semester senior, I have begun to realize how unjust it is that people disrespect teachers. Some students often skip class for no reason, some argue for the sole sake of talking back, and others even swear to teachers on occasion.

Many adults are educated in their field. What makes teachers so special is that they know how to share their knowledge. As students, we need to consider the difficulty teachers have of appealing to all personalities and learning styles in the classroom. Many of our teachers aren’t just book smart––they know how to build relationships.

Some teachers leave a formative impact on students. How could we learn to write beyond a five paragraph essay without the help of a good teacher? The same goes for solving a math equation or learning how to read.

Three weeks ago, a math tutor of mine passed away. As I was sitting at her funeral, I realized the profound impact she had on me. Initially, I considered her as “just” a teacher to me, but over time, she helped me understand the importance of academics.

While my tutor may have been strict, her teaching style was invaluable. I showed up to her house once a week for an hour, and by the time I left, I not only gained confidence, but I also understood all of the material. She taught me to like the subject and made me want to learn more. While she wasn’t a Redwood teacher, she earned my respect, as do all the teachers at school.

I began to wonder if other students at Redwood felt the same way about their teachers or tutors. Are they trying to act cool by making fun of their teachers yet, secretly care about them? Or do they only see their teachers as machines that stand in front of the class and spew information?

I wonder if this view of teachers as machines has to do with our technology-based society. Technological devices allow us to press send without seeing someone’s reaction, which means that we can think less before we speak. With fewer face-to-face conversations, it is harder for us to relate to our teachers and understand them as human beings.

From personal experience, I have gotten to know my teachers better through face-to-face conversations. Talking to them outside of class gave them a chance to relate to me.

In elementary school, it seemed like teachers were always personal with their students, maybe because young kids don’t often give attitude, or maybe it’s because in order to be an elementary school teacher, one must be more personable.

In high school, it seems like teachers act differently in class as opposed to after the bell rings. This may have to do with the common disrespect in the classroom that causes teachers to hold strict guidelines. If students were more respectful, maybe teachers would be more nice and open to talking because a more courteous environment goes a long way. As students, we need to remember that teachers are humans too, and they deserve our respect, no matter our personal opinion.