Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Four Netflix shows you’re not binge-watching

With such a wide variety of programming, Netflix has opened doors to television viewers of all tastes. Ranging from shows made decades in the past to last year’s additions, one of the most popular streaming sites contains some of the best television programs from a variety of channels. With sought-after shows such as Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards at the top of Netflix watch lists everywhere, there are some shows, both new and old, that go overlooked.

The Fall

Gillian Anderson stars in the second season of
Gillian Anderson stars in the second season of “The Fall.”

The Fall gives a unique look into the lives of Detective Superintendent Stella Gibson and serial killer Paul Spector. The BBC Two show is layered in plot, going beyond the serial killer mystery trope to a drama of two people living double lives, though they are thoroughly defined in the roles of protagonist and antagonist. Spector, played by Fifty Shades of Grey’s Jamie Dornan, seamlessly transitions from needy serial killer to loving father. The real star and champion of the show is Gillian Anderson’s Gibson, who delves into the brooding darkness and tension between herself and Spector in a complicated game of cat-and-mouse. The writers challenge themselves with stories that are not always easy to navigate, yet still manage to power through a plot that doesn’t let up. Through unanswered questions and an unclear conclusion, The Fall continuously demands the viewer’s full attention and in its plot and characters.

Rescue Me

Rescue Me is a rare show that blends comedy and drama in a post-9/11 New York firehouse. Denis Leary stars in the leading role as Tommy Gavin. Contradicting the brave and heroic firefighter stereotype, Gavin and his coworkers are brash, turning dignified moments into hilarious ones while continuously showing a vulnerability residing from the grief of those lost in tragic events. Though the quality of the plot teeters along the way, Rescue Me finishes on a high note, reflecting the sadness as well as the hilarity of those who often seem larger than life. The firefighters on Rescue Me are real–they have their flaws, but they only make their stories more intriguing and entertaining.

Life

Life is a drama that goes beyond the bounds of a typical police procedural throughout its short run of two seasons. Damian Lewis gives an understated performance as Charlie Crews, a man who spent over a decade in prison after being framed for a triple homicide. Crews, while harboring a deep desire to catch his framer, remains quirky and upbeat, trying to live the high life after his release from prison. Though the weekly crimes are not as carefully developed as those of Law & Order, the serialized elements of Crews’s situation balance well with the realistic depiction of cops in the urban setting of Los Angeles.

Louie

Louis C.K. is the showrunner and star of the comedy-drama hybrid that delves into the life of a successful comedian in which both humor and heartbreak ensue. Louie provides an insightful view into the irony of comedians who make strangers laugh for a living, but fail to find the same spark of happiness and laughter in their own lives. The show has top-tier guest stars, including Chris Rock and Sarah Silverman, but deserves more attention by television fans who do not venture to the less sought-after cable options that produce just as high quality programming. The storylines forget the standards set for both comedy and dramas, instead delivering a unique glimpse into the rawness of life and loneliness.