‘Rising Stars’ shine at Youth in Arts Gallery
Elsa ShermanApril 22, 2024

From Feb. 10 through April 12, Youth in Arts held the 33rd Annual Marin County High School Art Show, known as Rising Stars. The exhibition...

Illustrated by Cora Champommier
No one likes a damp diamond: How rain delays throw baseball a curveball
Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Some sports depend on the weather, but none as much as baseball due to the atmosphere around the game. As America’s pastime, baseball is...

Bliss: Marin’s first soft-serve shop dedicated to Asian-inspired ice cream
Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Located in Novato’s San Marin Plaza, Bliss Ice Cream is one of Marin’s most unique dessert joints. Customers can enjoy koi fish-shaped...

New College of Marin program offers free credit to high school students

The JUMPSTART program at College of Marin (COM), which began on Jan. 20, offers high school students the opportunity to receive college credit for free.

The College Credit Program (CCP) allows students to be concurrently enrolled in college  classes for which they earn college credit, along with their high school course load. Because of the JUMPSTART program, high school students are now offered up to 11 free units through the CCP. There is an exception of a $40 semester fee that covers access to COM’s student health center, a credit for GoPrint copying, and student representation and activities.

Junior Maia da Silva is currently enrolled in a class at COM, earning free college credit.

Although classes for high school students are now free, the cost for full-time community college students has increased.

According to Vantrease, the cost per unit at the community college has gone up considerably over the last 15 years. From the spring of 2000 until the spring of 2003 the COM tuition was $11 per unit. Currently, it costs students $46 per unit.

The rising costs would likely become obsolete if President Obama’s plan for free community college in participating states, which he outlined in his State of the Union speech on Jan. 20, is followed. All students who attend at least part-time and maintain a 2.5 GPA would have their tuition covered 75 percent by the federal government and 25 percent by the participating state.

Vantrease believes free community college would likely lead to an influx of students choosing the community college path.