Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

New College of Marin program offers free credit to high school students

The JUMPSTART program at College of Marin (COM), which began on Jan. 20, offers high school students the opportunity to receive college credit for free.

The College Credit Program (CCP) allows students to be concurrently enrolled in college  classes for which they earn college credit, along with their high school course load. Because of the JUMPSTART program, high school students are now offered up to 11 free units through the CCP. There is an exception of a $40 semester fee that covers access to COM’s student health center, a credit for GoPrint copying, and student representation and activities.

Junior Maia da Silva is currently enrolled in a class at COM, earning free college credit.

Although classes for high school students are now free, the cost for full-time community college students has increased.

According to Vantrease, the cost per unit at the community college has gone up considerably over the last 15 years. From the spring of 2000 until the spring of 2003 the COM tuition was $11 per unit. Currently, it costs students $46 per unit.

The rising costs would likely become obsolete if President Obama’s plan for free community college in participating states, which he outlined in his State of the Union speech on Jan. 20, is followed. All students who attend at least part-time and maintain a 2.5 GPA would have their tuition covered 75 percent by the federal government and 25 percent by the participating state.

Vantrease believes free community college would likely lead to an influx of students choosing the community college path.