Imogen Colaco April 18, 2024

Former coach and mentor Al-Endriss looking off into the distance
Baseball Roots Reimagined: From Players to Coaches
Reece Mori-Prange and Jack Block April 17, 2024

Redwood baseball is a program built to win games, award hard work and develop skills that set players up for future success. Coaches Bill Benz,...

Charlotte Fishburne April 16, 2024

‘X’ crosses into new styles for Chris Brown

Chris Brown released his newest album “X” on Sept. 16, in which he displays an advancement in his vocal ability. The album, originally scheduled to be released in late 2013, was delayed due to parole violations that led to stints in rehab and 108 days in jail for the young artist.In this case, the wait was well worth it because this may be Brown’s best album yet.

XWEB

In “X”, Brown worked with  a variation of song genres that are exemplified throughout each track on the album.

He speeds up the beat and flow of the lyrics with hit tracks such as “Loyal” and “Love More,” while also slowing down the beat with songs that truly show the different styles he has as a vocalist.

In the songs “Add Me In” and “Lost in Ya Love” Brown controls different pitches and tones. “Lost in Ya Love,” especially shows off Brown’s new found talent for singing in falsetto, in which he sings notes that are higher than his normal range.

Not only does his new album show how he has grown as a vocalist, but it also shows how Brown has matured in his everyday life. In his song “Do Better,” featuring Brandy, Brown sings, “I learn more and more each day. I don’t know me. It’s like I can get out of my own way.” Brown reflects on his growth by explaining that he understands that he makes mistakes, but he learns from them  each day.

Brown also branches out from his stereotypical R&B sound by incorporating acoustic backgrounds. Browns song “Autumn Leaves,” featuring Kendrick Lamar, heavily integrates acoustic tones. Throughout the song the undertones of the guitar can be heard in the background.

Brown doesn’t stop there. He incorporates dubstep inspired tracks with “X” and  “Body Shots.” The songs begin with Brown clearly singing his lyrics and just as the tempo begins to build the beat suddenly drops. Brown tastefully added these dubstep inspired beats to these two songs.

Despite having many different variations of sound and beats in each of his songs, Brown’s lyrics don’t differ from their message. Brown kept the ambiguity of the album “X”, so that his listeners could derive what they thought each song was about.

Each track on the album is definitely in a romantic tone as he talks about women in his day to day life. In each song he not only sings about love, but also about making mistakes and learning from them.

This album shows Brown’s maturation while still keeping his youthfulness by means of his lyrics.

“X” is Browns sixth studio made album and the talent displayed shows the hard work that was put into its production. From the lyrical content, beats, and even the producers Brown hit this album out of the park. With so many different sounds on “X”, it’s definitely a must listen for everyone.