Franco’s portrayal of teenage life may leave seem reeling

The film adaptation of actor James Franco’s debut literary work, a book of stories entitled Palo Alto, is now playing in select theatres.
Though it was his first publication, Franco gained much critical attention due to his previous stardom when the book was released in 2010.
Regardless, the book ultimately received mixed reviews.

palo_alto.large

The book shares its title with Franco’s northern California hometown of Palo Alto where each of the stories is based.
The stories are split into two halves, Palo Alto I and Palo Alto II.
Both sections contain several stories from the perspectives of an alternating cast of troubled teens whose issues range from acts of violence, to alcohol and drug abuse, to promiscuity.
The book’s plots are recognizably drawn from a fictionalized reflection on Franco’s youth as an academic hoodlum.
In high school, he managed to be a high performing student while a ward of the state after a series of arrests due to underage drinking, graffiti, and theft.
The fast paced storylines are vital and rambunctious, and an enjoyable reading experience even when they lack depth.
It is unclear, however, if there is an intended message buried beneath the heaps of potent teen angst.
By the end, the reader is left to wonder if the stories were purposefully based around unruly teens simply because teen minds make for such fertile ground from which to draw wild ideas.
The majority of the stories contain an almost humorous amount of relatively vulgar content which makes for both a gripping read and an uncomfortable ride for the faint of heart.
There is always something to be said for an artist who breaks the barriers of their medium and attempts to expand their skills, but Palo Alto is the sort of book that can leave differing impressions on its readers based on whether or not they are already a fan of Franco.
A quick read of 196 pages, Palo Alto receives four stars out of five and a recommendation for those looking to reconnect with their wild side.