‘Rising Stars’ shine at Youth in Arts Gallery
Elsa Sherman April 22, 2024

From Feb. 10 through April 12, Youth in Arts held the 33rd Annual Marin County High School Art Show, known as Rising Stars. The exhibition...

Illustrated by Cora Champommier
No one likes a damp diamond: How rain delays throw baseball a curveball
Kellen Smith and Lucas Tempero April 21, 2024

Some sports depend on the weather, but none as much as baseball due to the atmosphere around the game. As America’s pastime, baseball is...

Bliss: Marin’s first soft-serve shop dedicated to Asian-inspired ice cream
Owen McDaniels April 21, 2024

Located in Novato’s San Marin Plaza, Bliss Ice Cream is one of Marin’s most unique dessert joints. Customers can enjoy koi fish-shaped...

Pharrell’s new album cements his place in pop

Absence is not a concept Pharrell Williams seems kin to. It’s been 8 years since his first and most

recent solo LP , 2006’s, In My Mind, was released, but since his career began he’s had guest appearances

on 39 songs, and released 44 singles. Needless to say, Mr. Williams has been a busy man in his 20 years

making hip hop, alternative, and pop mega hits.

pharrell-s-girl-album-cover-draws-racial-controversy

After taking a few years hiatus to start and raise his family, Pharrell exploded back on to the

music scene in 2013 when he appeared on two of the years hottest singles, Robin Thicke’s “Blurred

Lines” and Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky”. Since then, William’s career has been snowballing exponentially,

wining 4 Grammy’s and being nominated for an Academy Award (“Happy” from Despicable Me 2) along

with a handful of chart topping hits.

Pharrell looks to capitalize on his momentum with his highly anticipated sophomore LP, G I R L.

While lacking in engaging lyric content, Pharrell, who was originally a music producer, compensates with

infectious, pop-funk influenced instrumentation. Songs like “Hunter” and “Gush” exude dance and

desire with groovy basslines and slick guitar and synth riffs.

Williams makes excellent use of the respect he’s gained in his years in the industry. Hailing guest

appearances from the likes of Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus, Alicia Keys, and Timbaland, GI R L has

plenty of familiar voices sprinkled throughout it.

The album does fall short on the lyricism front, and at times certain lines seem forced and lazy

all at the same time. But Pharrell seems to have transcended clichés, blunders, and slip ups to land on

an irreversible shade of cool. Even when he seems a bit questionable, his force as a musician,

fashionista, and over all pop icon is undeniable.