Game predictions for this weekend’s Super Bowl

Josh Zimmerman

For Super Bowl XLVIII, we get the matchup of the top ranked offense in the league versus the top ranked defense. The Broncos lead the NFL in points per game with 38, which is ten more than the second leading team and have won seven games by three or more possessions. However, Peyton Manning has been less effective in under 40 degree weather this season, completing 6 percent less of his passes with a 22 point lower passer rating, and the forecast calls for the low 30‘s. Even though teams have historically ran less and passed more in the Super Bowl, the conditions might force an end to that, giving the Seahawks with their power running and defensive identity some of an advantage.

Broncos win the game 27-23.

Aaron Dorfler

The Denver Broncos have not faced a running back with Marshawn Lynch’s ability so far during the playoffs, and will have problems.  Despite only being in his second year as quarterback, Seattle’s Russell Wilson doesn’t turn the ball over.  As opposed to Manning, the team does not rest on his shoulders. However the Broncos’ will not go down without a fight.  As the top-ranked offense, even the top-ranked Seattle defense will face issues.  Manning’s receiving core is too deep for the Seahawks to completely shut down, but it will be much less successful. Seattle’s underrated pass rush will force Manning out of the pocket, make him feel uncomfortable, and turn the ball over, especially with the weather. Although winning the Super Bowl would be the icing on the cake for Peyton Manning’s unprecedented season, the Seahawks’ defensive secondary will minimize the Broncos offense’s damage, and Seattle has too many weapons to be stopped Denver’s flawed defense. By the end of the day, Redwood alumni and Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll will hoist the Lombardi Trophy over his head.  With a more balanced team, the Seahawks will overcome Peyton Manning’s historic Broncos’ offense.

Seahawks win the game 26-21.

Michael Fieber

The game pits arguably the best quarterback of our time in Peyton Manning against Sherman’s “Legion of Boom”. On the other side, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is only in his second year in the NFL, and his inexperience and the bright lights could create some problems for the young QB. Looking at the quarterbacks only, the Broncos have a distinct advantage, but with estimated temperatures under 30 degrees at kickoff at MetLife stadium in New York, who knows how the quarterbacks will fair. Because of cold temperatures, both teams will both look toward their running games. In this area, both teams are matched pretty evenly, Marshawn “Beast Mode” Lynch in the Seattle backfield and Knowshon Moreno taking the handoffs from Manning on the offensive side of the ball for Denver. On the defensive side, Seattle wins, no doubt, but it will be interesting to see how Manning reacts to the top-ranked defense in the NFL.

Seahawks win the game 28-24.

Mike Hendrickson

This is easily one of the most evenly matched Super Bowls yet. Denver’s prolific offense against the Seahawks elite defense and their historically good secondary will make Super Bowl XLVIII a matchup for the ages. The proverbial phrase “Offense wins games, defense wins championships” will hold true as the already harsh weather conditions will limit the Broncos’ passing game and Richard Sherman and the “Legion of Boom” will stop the rest. Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch will run over the Broncos defense.

Seahawks  win the game 23-20.