The Impact of the potential ‘NO’ on Measure A
Emily Hitchcock, Web Designer • March 28, 2024

Boys’ basketball comeback falls short against rival Marin Catholic

In the continuation of last Friday’s appropriately named “Blackout” game, the boys’ varsity basketball team lost a heartbreaker on Wednesday at Marin Catholic, 65-64.

The game began with Redwood ahead 12-10, but by the fourth quarter, the score was tied at 47 apiece.

However, the Wildcats controlled the early part of the fourth quarter, and built a five point advantage over the Giants with 1:30 remaining in the game. Redwood quickly cut the lead to one point amidst roars from both student sections in the loud gymnasium, only to see the Wildcats’ junior Charlie Duysen make two free throws with just under a minute left.

A layup from senior Nick Jones, who led Redwood with 16 points, trimmed Marin Catholic’s lead to just one with a little over 30 seconds to play.

Duysen once again was sent to the free throw line on the next possession, this time with a chance to give Marin Catholic a three point lead. But the Wildcats’ leading scorer, who finished with 28 points, could not sink either of the free throws–two out of a whopping 43 attempts on the night for Marin Catholic. Down 65-64, Redwood had the last shot, and a chance to win the game.

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 10.13.36 AM

But hard-nosed defense on the other end of the court forced junior Will Breck into a contested fadeaway three pointer at the buzzer that rimmed out, sending Marin Catholic students into a frenzy as they stormed the court.

Senior forward Peter Kennedy played well in the losing effort, with four three-pointers and a total of 15 points.

The game’s officiating was called under question by the fans at many points during the game, highlighted by a large free throw discrepancy between the two squads. The Giants managed only 19 free throw attempts on the night, 24 less than the Wildcats.

With the loss, Redwood (7-2) no longer stands alone behind first place Branson (8-1), falling into a second place tie with Drake (7-2).

Redwood will look to bounce back at home against Justin Siena on Friday night at 7:30 pm.