Musicians entertain with winter performances

Shaya Barry and Maddy Peng play a cover “Give Me Love” at the Intermediate Performance Workshop concert on Dec. 5.

The Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, and Jazz B band had their performances in late November, and Intermediate Performance Workshop and Beginning Guitar had their performances last Thursday, Dec. 5.

The Symphonic Band and Wind Assemble performance went well according to junior Tamara Frangoul, despite having a late venue change from the spacious large gym to the more-crowded small gym.

The Jazz B band had its performance the day after those of Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band. Junior Sam Cooke said that the jazz band is broken into two parts: Jazz A and Jazz B. Jazz A is for the more experienced players while Jazz B is for the players who are still developing their skills.

“There was Night of Swing, which mainly showcased Jazz A and was a huge hit,” Cooke said. “We wanted a concert to showcase the B band, so we geared up for a performance too.”

“It went a lot better than I think most performers thought it would,” Cooke said. “There were no mess-ups, everyone performed to the extent of their abilities, and all of the solos went really well.”

Intermediate Performance Workshop had its performance last Thursday, and it was also a success—and a learning experience—for those involved.

“I’ve played on stage before, but a lot of people haven’t, so they were all excited to play on stage for the first time,” said freshman John Van Liere. “Even though I’ve played before, it was still a learning experience.”

Advanced Performance Workshop also had concerts yesterday and Wednesday.