Sophomore Mimi Wood darts toward the goal holding the ball.
Girls’ varsity lacrosse conquers Terra Linda in blowout match
Larkin MoffettMarch 26, 2024

On March 26, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team went head-to-head with Terra Linda High School (TL) in a blowout Marin County Athletic League...

Incoming juniors and seniors can simultaneously take a history course and Advanced Placement African American Studies (Photo by Lauren Poulin).
Diverse perspectives: Redwood set to launch Advanced Placement African American Studies
Emily GarciaMarch 26, 2024

Beginning in the 2024-25 school year, the Advanced Placement (AP) African American Studies course will officially be launched and offered...

Meet the Captains: Spring sports
Meet the Captains: Spring sports
Julia Delsol, Emily Block, and Mason GarboMarch 26, 2024

Dear [Name of Customer], by Julia Delsol

Boys’ basketball turns to up-tempo offense

Last year, the boys’ varsity basketball team was mediocre at best, finishing with a league record of 5-9 and missing the playoffs. The two players most responsible for Redwood’s five wins, seniors Joe Compagno and Samson Donick (15 ppg each), graduated last year. Now the team features a starting five that could include as many returning starters as first-year varsity players.

Junior Will Breck launches a three-pointer against Marin Academy.

Even with the young squad lacking star power or experience, the Giants are looking at, arguably, a better overall team. Unable to channel the offense through two main players, the team has turned to a new strategy that focuses on involving every player on the court in their offense.

Adopting a fast-paced offense, Coach Steve Compagno has put the radically different gameplan to the test in their preseason, capitalizing on fastbreaks whenever possible and relying on outside shooting more than last season. Led by senior forward Peter Kennedy and senior guard Molefi Thompson, the team has seen mixed results from their new system, as evidenced by their 3-4 record.

When the team runs the break and is hitting from behind the arc, the offense looks unstoppable. Two weeks ago, the Giants put up 91 points in a game against Pinole Valley, hoisting up 34 three-pointers before the final buzzer sounded. However, the downsides of the high-octane offense w

ere seen the next week against Cardinal Newman, when the Giants were just 3 of 16 from three point range.

This season will likely feature both the benefits and drawbacks of the new gameplan. Hopefully, however, the Giants will run just fast enough and drain just enough threes to sneak their way into the playoffs and shake up the current MCAL basketball picture.