Girls’ volleyball defeats Vintage in straight sets to move to second round of playoffs

​The girls’ varsity volleyball team won decisively against Vintage High School yesterday, taking all three sets in their first state playoff game.

With this win, Redwood will now advance to the second round of the state playoffs and will face Los Altos High School this Saturday at 7 p.m at Redwood.

Senior Rachael Thorson waits to serve the ball during the second set last Tuesday.

The third set was the closest of the match, as no team was up by more than three points for its duration. Key blocks by Redwood’s frontline proved to make the difference, with the Giants taking the final match 25-23.

​The first set featured streaks by both teams, but Redwood set the tone. The Giants maintained a comfortable lead of at least five points for most of the first period of play, winning the set 25-18. ​

The Giants suffered a slow start to the second set, and were losing by five points early on.  Redwood clawed its way back, eventually winning the set 25-17 following an eight-point run.

​Senior Sophie DiGrazia showed why she is considered such an offensive threat, with an impressive 12 kills in the game. Junior Bailey Osborn also posted nine kills in the match, many of which came during key turning points of the second set.

​Senior Sierra Dawson set up more than a third of Redwood’s points with an impressive 38 assists.

With a victory this Saturday, Redwood will have the chance to compete for the Division II NorCal crown against either Archbishop Mitty High School or Rocklin High School.