Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Musicians take the stage for charity

A local benefit concert featuring local artists, raised more than $16,000 for an orphanage in Tijuana, Mexico.

For the third year in a row, Concert For Casa featured performances by local musicians at Hillside Church in Corte Madera.

MICHAEL WEINSTEIN, Conner McGuigan and Jacob Skaggs perform at the Hillside Church in Corte Madera.

Proceeds from the concert primarily go towards sending orphans to college.  They also are used to bring clean drinking water to the facility and provide professional counseling to the children, many of whom are victims of sexual abuse.

The concert featured local artists including The Jack Straw Blues Band, Zach Ostroff Experience, Handshake, Nights on First, Rin Tin Tiger, Michael Weinstein, Matt Jaffe, and Xponent.

Concert For Casa was started by Redwood alumni Jacob Skaggs in 2010 to raise money for the Casa de La Esperanza orphanage.  Skaggs has volunteered for the orphanage for the past eight years and decided to hold the benefit after noticing that the orphanage was struggling.

“You could tell that the orphanage was not as well off financially as it had been in the past.  Not that it was ever well off, but the economy had really hit the orphanage hard,” Skaggs said.  “I decided it was time to step up and do more for the orphanage than just volunteer once a year.”

According to Skaggs, the event has grown each year, showcasing more bands and artists, and raising more money for the orphanage.

In 2010, the concert raised more than $6,000 for the Casa De La Esperanza orphanage.  This year the concert raised more than $16,000, over $1,000 more than the initial goal.  Regardless, Skaggs doesn’t plan on stopping now.

“I’d love to do more benefits in the future,” Skaggs said. “Who knows?  Hopefully next summer there will be a Concert For Casa 4.”