What it means to be a Giant
What it means to be a Giant
Gil LadetzkyJune 22, 2024

In fifth grade, I attended my first-ever Redwood basketball game. It was a rainy Thursday night in a gym packed with energetic students. As I...

Editor-in-Chief Farewell: Coco Boyden

I have always had a strong sense of self, understanding who I am and who I am not, without ever feeling the need to apologize for either. Confidence, I have learned, comes from embracing my strengths and weaknesses, feeling settled in my bones and being proud of who I am at my core. 

Fundamentally, I am someone who is their best self when in the company of others. I love to learn from people who are different from me, collaborate with people who are passionate and engaged in their learning and uplift those who need support. This is why I am my best self when in the presence of fellow Barkies. 

Going into the program, I was intent on making a difference and being the best leader possible. But in retrospect, I didn’t know much about leadership. I thought being a good leader was about having all the answers, but boy, was I wrong. Through trial and error, I have learned that being a good leader means taking care of those in my charge, lifting them up and championing them at every opportunity. 

Photo by Anna Youngs

Room 177 is no ordinary classroom. It’s an environment filled with originality of voice and thought. It’s a collection of students who connect deeply over their desire to seek and report the truth. The opportunity to lead such dedicated and focused individuals has made me appreciate what good leadership demands. Along the way, I had to accept the opportunities, responsibilities, successes and failures while learning to become the best editor-in-chief (EIC) possible. 

In reality, I think the best leaders are the ones who seek to learn from the people around them. In room 177, I am surrounded by the most caring, thoughtful and brilliant people who remind me every day why I love to do this work. It’s not about knowing the answer to every question. It’s about working together as a collective community because in the Bark room, every voice has value. 

Without those important voices, there would be no editorial about bridging the communication gap between students and administration, nor a feature on the recent Golden Gate Bridge deterrents or a satirical article on remedies for senioritis. Thanks to our collaboration and our (sometimes) friendly arguments, this publication continues to push boundaries, inform thoughtfully and offer myriad perspectives. I have never been more proud to be an integral part of something so meaningful. When I look back on my late schedule change sophomore year to take the pre-requisite course, non-fiction, I am grateful for serendipity as it was the best decision of my life. 

To my fellow Editors-in-Chief, while our nightly FaceTimes often turn counterproductive (usually with Matt talking about his dogs), I am going to miss every second spent arguing, laughing and planning with you all. 

This program is one in a million and has forever changed me. Thank you, Bark, for accepting me, for teaching me and most importantly, for being my family.

With love,

Coco