Twelve seniors were presented with awards to recognize their commitment to being outstanding high school athletes (Photo by Zoe Gister).
Redwood senior athletes recognized in new venue celebration
Charlotte LacyMay 30, 2024

On May 20, senior athletes, parents and coaches gathered at Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon to recognize and celebrate the seniors committed...

Smiling and holding their floats, seniors make the most of their lunch.
Seniors stay a-float for senior week
Hannah HerbstMay 29, 2024

On Tuesday, May 28, after a long Memorial Day Weekend and with only twelve more academic days left of school, leadership kicked off Senior...

Boys’ varsity baseball marks history with first-ever state playoff victory
Will ParsonsMay 29, 2024

On May 28, the Giants’ varsity baseball team took on the Carmel Padres in the first Norcal state playoff game in the program’s history. The...

Boys’ varsity lacrosse comes up short in an overtime game against St Margaret’s

On Friday, April 5, boys’ varsity lacrosse played a tough out-of-league match against the St. Margaret’s Trojans. Going up against the sixth-ranked lacrosse team in California coming off a loss, the Giants knew they were in for a challenge.

Senior defender Eddie Lin was very confident in preparation for this game.

The Giants’ swarming defense disturbs the Trojans’ offense.

“We knew that this team was going to be [tough] with five [Division I] commits, but we played solid, executed our game plan and knew what they were going to throw at us,” Lin said.

A minute after the first faceoff started, senior Nolan Ewing broke the ice with an early goal. Following Ewing’s goal, seniors Will Parsons, BJ Fisher and Harrison Curtiss helped the Giants jump out to an early 4-2 lead at the end of the first quarter. By the end of the half, the Giants were up 6-3 thanks to another goal by Fisher and one by senior Jake Werner.

“We have [recently] started playing better as a team, both offensively and defensively,” senior Jake Vasquez said.

At the start of the second half, St Margaret’s bounced back with two quick goals to make the score 6-5 with about four minutes left in the third quarter. Merely 30 seconds later, Vasquez came up big for the Giants, concluding in a 7-5 score going into the fourth quarter.

“All it took was a few mental errors. We let off the gas in the second half and let them get back into [the game],” Lin said. 

Although the Giants held the Trojans off in the fourth, the score was still tight. Within the last five minutes, St Margaret’s scored two equalizing goals to send the game into overtime at 9-9.

“We were undisciplined and lazy, which led to their run in the end. If we kept the same mentality at the beginning of the game, we would’ve smacked them,” Lin said.

With the game on the line in overtime, junior John Anderluh won the faceoff for the Giants. As the Giants were about to put the game away, disaster struck.

“One of our attack men had a mental error and went offside, which put us a man down. We didn’t cover the backside, which led to their goal,” Vasquez said.

Even though the Giants came up short, Vasquez thought the Giants still played well.

“I thought we played a solid game, but we just couldn’t finish. We just need to learn how to finish these games. That’s the main thing we need to improve going forward.”

Make sure to come out and support your Giants on Friday, April 19, at 6:00 p.m., as they face Saint Ignatius.