Voices of Measure A
Voices of Measure A
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Voices of measure A by Tessa Tuatini

Smiling proudly, Sammy Chew poses for a picture behind the Surfrider Foundation table (Courtesy of Adriella Marcus)
Coastal advocacy and youth involvement:
Estelle SmithApril 26, 2024

On the first warm sunny weekends in Marin, families, high school kids, dogs and surfers alike all flocked to Stinson Beach to have some fun in...

TUHSD holds first annual Students of Color Retreat
TUHSD holds first annual Students' of Color Retreat
Melanie CanulApril 26, 2024

On March 29, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) organized and held its first-ever Students of Color Retreat. The retreat was held...

How to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the right way

On St. Patrick’s Day, countless wonderful celebrations occur worldwide to honor Irish culture. Although the holiday may seem to be an excuse for a bar crawl, it is genuinely so much more. You can celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by going to the massive parade in San Francisco, learning about Irish heritage or simply putting on green for the spirit of the Irish. Here are some of the best ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

Attend a Parade: 

The San Francisco St. Patrick’s Day Parade is an infamous location for this memorable holiday. Everyone in the city wears green; residents gather outside to view the colorful floats, marching bands and Irish dancers. From the big city parades to the charm of smaller towns, attending a parade is a fantastic way to experience the joyous spirit of the holiday. It’s a chance to get a sense of Irish culture and learn about the festivities associated with St. Patrick’s Day.

San Francisco residents enjoy the 173rd St. Patrick’s Day Parade. (Photo courtesy of the San Francisco Standard)

Explore Irish Cuisine:

If you can’t make it out to the parade, take this opportunity to try some Irish food at a local restaurant or try your hand at cooking traditional Irish dishes at home. Dishes like Cabbage and Sausage deliciously combine two conventional Irish ingredients. You’ll find both used in many dishes throughout the country. Another traditional Irish meal is Beef and Potato Pie. Savory meat pies are a pub favorite in Ireland, packed with an Irish flavor. The filling comprises beef, potatoes, veggies and even Guinness beer. You can find these dishes at Irish Times in San Francisco, a highly-rated Irish restaurant on Sacramento Street. 

Connect with Irish Heritage:

If you have Irish ancestry, St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time to connect with your heritage and learn about your roots. Research your family history and connect with distant relatives to learn more about your Irish lineage and traditions. Interview older relatives to gather information about your ancestors’ origins, immigration patterns and experiences. Documenting your family tree can provide valuable insights into your ancestral heritage.

Members of San Francisco’s Irish Pipers Band prepare for the highly anticipated St. Patrick’s Day Parade. (Photo courtesy of the San Francisco Standard)

Whatever way you choose to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, let the spirit fill your heart with joy and a sense of belonging. St. Patrick’s Day is more than just a holiday; it’s a celebration of Irish culture, heritage and the enduring spirit of the Irish people.