Sara Jordan creates community with Crochet Corner

Junior Sara Jordan learned how to crochet at summer camp in elementary school. She had originally signed up for a slime-making session, but when it was already full, she decided to take a crochet class instead. While Jordan was disappointed at first, the unexpected change in her camp schedule led her to discover a newfound passion for crochet. 

Sara Jordan’s amigurumi creature sits propped up in a tree (photo courtesy of Sara Jordan).

This new interest has continued through Jordan’s middle and high school years as she works to build her skills.

“I started with stuffed animals, [using a technique] called amigurumi, and then I graduated to tops and clothes,” Jordan said. 

Jordan soon recognized that she could use her love of crochet to connect with others. Partnering with the Corte Madera Library, Jordan created Crochet Corner, a group that meets monthly at the library to work on crochet projects together. All are welcome to join, creating an inclusive and relaxed environment.

“You can come in without signing up, from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Corte Madera Library in the conference room,” Jordan said. 

All supplies are provided and crocheters are welcome to bring their projects home to work on in between meetings. 

“You come in and make your projects, then leave and work on your projects at home, and then come back the next month,” Jordan said. 

The sessions typically consist of a mix of instruction and independent work, with more advanced crocheters helping the beginners.

Crocheters work on their projects at the Corte Madera Library (photo courtesy of Sara Jordan).

“The people that already know how to crochet are spreading the skill to new people, [making] it a great environment,” Jordan said. 

Junior Audrey McMillan began crocheting during the pandemic. McMillan helps Jordan run Crochet Corner smoothly, assisting beginners while also working on her own projects. She has also noticed the positive environment and relationships being formed between crocheters of all ages.                              

“I am getting to know some older people in our community who I wouldn’t know outside of [Crochet Corner]; it [helps] connect like-minded people,” McMillan said. 

Jordan’s amigurumi fox highlights her crochet skills (photo courtesy of Sara Jordan).

Known to be relaxing, crochet can be a great hobby for various reasons including Alzheimer’s prevention, anxiety reduction and more. 

“It is beneficial to find something [to do] that is not [using] your phone and is not school,” Jordan said. “It is fun to work on something away from screens and social media.” 

Crocheting can also serve a practical purpose, as many use items they made themselves. 

“I think [crochet] is a valuable hobby. Whatever you crochet, you can use. If you crochet a bag, you can use the bag; if you crochet a shirt, you can wear it. It is also fun and a way to spend your time and it creates community,” McMillan said.  

Seeing such success with Crochet Corner at the Corte Madera Library, Jordan is working to launch the Crochet Corner Club at Redwood alongside classmate Linnea Koblik. The club will meet every Thursday during lunch in room 287. To learn more about Crochet Corner, click here.