Varsity baseball secures win on walk-off double in extra innings

On Feb. 16, the boys’ varsity baseball team took on the Rancho Cotate Cougars in a thrilling home opener to begin the regular season. Senior Rex Solle started the game on the mound, allowing no runs in the top of the first inning. The Giants burst into action, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning. Sophomore Theo Trono started the inning off strong by getting on base. Junior TJ Beck singled, advancing Trono to second. Senior Rex Solle hit a double, bringing Trono home and advancing Beck to third base. Sophomore Jack Moseley also hit a double, driving in Beck and Solle to give the Giants a 3-0 lead at the end of the first. Rancho Cotate kept on fighting, tying up the score 3-3 in the top of the fourth inning. The game stayed 3-3 in a defensive battle through the seventh, heading into extra innings. Rancho Cotate grabbed a lead in the top of the eighth, going up 4-3. Junior Matthew Knauer started the bottom of the eighth off hot, getting on base with a single. Solle followed that up with a single of his own. Moseley put away Rancho Cotate with a walk-off double, driving home Solle and Knauer to secure the win. The Giants’ record is now 1-0 and they will take on Montgomery on Feb. 19, at 3:30 p.m.