Setting Sail to Success: Inside the journey of the sailing team
Zoe Gister, Cub Reporter • April 27, 2024

In the serene breeze of a bright spring afternoon, the first rays of light start to dip behind Mt. Tamalpais as one group of young sailors...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Governor signs new bill: A new period of Media Literacy begins.
Meg Stevenson and Natalie VinogradskyApril 27, 2024

At the beginning of 2024, a new media literacy bill went into effect that will impact every public school in California. It seeks to address...

Voices of Measure A
Voices of Measure A
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Voices of measure A by Tessa Tuatini

Bark Recommends: Celebrating the holidays around the Bay

While the winter season can be packed with activities and school work, finding time to enjoy the company of family and friends is essential during the holiday season. The Bay Area offers a variety of activities that can be enjoyed by all, including exploring San Francisco’s ice skating rink in Union Square, visiting a life-sized gingerbread house in the Fairmont Hotel, watching Christmas movies and eating holiday foods.

Attractions:

Union Square Ice Rink

Gliding through the Union Square ice rink, skaters enjoy this simple yet exhilarating holiday activity.

Centered at the heart of San Francisco, Union Square has become the perfect spot to delight in holiday spirit. With an 86-foot Christmas tree towering over a bustling ice rink and even taller retail stores detected out in wreaths and dark red bows, one can’t help but feel transported into the holiday season. Tickets for a 60-minute ice skating session can be purchased online, with general admission costing $20 per person, including skate rentals. Once on the ice, skaters can enjoy a family friendly atmosphere that accommodates all levels of learners. As the rink is open from Nov. 1 through Jan. 15, individuals can come throughout the holiday season to enjoy a light hearted activity that brings smiles to all.

Lifesize Gingerbread House

Lighting up the Fairmont hotel with Christmas spirit, this magnificent gingerbread house draws in onlookers with its intricate candy decorations and colorful display.

Located on the scenic Nob Hill, San Francisco’s Fairmont Hotel opened its annual holiday display on Nov. 25, complete with a 22-ft tall gingerbread house and an even taller Christmas tree. The handmade gingerbread house took about 520 hours to complete and includes 8,000 panels of gingerbread and 2,000 pounds of candy. Decorated with classic gumdrops and Nerd ropes, this is a must-see attraction. The gingerbread house is topped with classic Christmas decorations such as lights and fake snow, creating a homey feel that invites onlookers to explore the interior. With the lobby decked out in holiday decorations, including a See’s Candy stand and wreaths lining staircases, the Fairmont Hotel is the perfect place to celebrate this holiday season.

Holiday Treats:

Rustic Bakery Hot Chocolate 

Decked out with delicious whipped cream, Rustic Bakery’s hot chocolate is rich and creamy.

During the cold winter months, having a hot drink in one’s hand will offer a cozy comfort. Rustic Bakery, located on Magnolia St. in Larkspur, is the perfect place to get the perfect winter drink: a hot chocolate. Their hot chocolate is delectable as it has a flavorful taste while not being too overbearingly rich. The drink is then topped with a light whipped cream that balances out the coco flavor while incorporating a creamy texture. The hot chocolate costs $5.75 with added whipped cream and is the perfect treat for the holiday season. 

Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Ice Cream 

Combining both sweet and spicy flavors, Trader Joe’s gingerbread ice cream is hard to resist.

This ice cream is one of many Trader Joe’s specialty seasonal items, but it is certainly one of the best. It combines the perfect levels of buttery and sweet, transitioning seamlessly from a crisp, clear initial taste into a spice laden aftertaste. With its effortless flavor and its price at only $3.79, this ice cream is sure to provide a sweet treat all season long. The combination of flavors makes this a perfect addition to any holiday treat. From the smooth, velvety texture of the vanilla base to the spices and chunks of gingerbread, this ice cream is not one to miss out on.

Trader Joe’s Mint Cookie Stars

Packaged in a Christmas themed box, these mouthwatering cookies are a perfect holiday snack.

These minty shortbread cookies are reminiscent of a holiday-themed Thin Mint. The combination of the hints of mint with the rich cocoa overtones make this a delicious addition to your shopping cart this December. Decorated with white sprinkles, Trader Joe’s Mint Cookie Stars have a delectable crunch, and the texture adds an additional level of interest to an already stellar treat. Coming in at a price of $3.99, these cookies will perfectly satisfy a holiday sweet tooth.

Media:

Love Actually

Including a star studded cast, Love Actually is the perfect holiday movie.(Photo courtesy of Universal Pictures)

Currently available on Netflix, this 2003 British romantic comedy and holiday classic follows the intersections of the lives of a variety of characters around a frantic holiday season. In the storylines it follows — nine, to be exact — everyone can find a “Love Actually” plot line to relate to. With its messages surrounding the importance of family, gratitude and community during the holiday season, “Love Actually” reminds viewers that love comes in many forms. Comedic yet heartfelt performances make this a perfect watch for this time of year, allowing viewers to reconnect with what matters most.

“Fruitcake” by Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter poses with a fruitcake for her holiday EP. (Photo courtesy of Sabrina Carpenter / Hollywood Records / Island Records)

With her new holiday EP “Fruitcake,” Sabrina Carpenter incorporates her signature pop style with classic Christmas melodies. Themes of love, heartbreak and holiday spirit, combined with Carpenter’s creative lyricism and airy vocals, make the album a perfect addition to a holiday playlist. From the uplifting beats of “A Nonsense Christmas” to the melancholy melodies of betrayal in “santa doesn’t know you like i do,” to the combined mix of classic Christmas songs in “white xmas,” Carpenter stays true to her pop brand while including nostalgic holiday tunes.

Entertaining viewers through the holiday season, the Harry Potter movies offer a nostalgic sentiment. (Photo courtesy of Warner Bros)

Harry Potter

While these movies provide a comforting watch for any time of the year, there’s something especially nostalgic about them during the holiday season. Whether it’s the sweeping views of a Hogwarts coated in snow, or the familiar sight of the Hogwarts Express making its way through the English countryside, no winter is complete without a “Happy Christmas, Harry!”