Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

The strings on Congressman Jared Huffman’s racket break as he returns a serve from senior Jackson Sichel.
Congressman Jared Huffman visits boys’ varsity tennis practice after MCAL championship
Matthew KnauerApril 28, 2024

The boys’ varsity tennis team has enjoyed an eventful past two weeks. On Wednesday, April 17, they beat the Archie Williams Falcons 7-0...

Egg-sploring Marin’s newest breakfast spot: Sour Kid Cafe

Sour Kid Cafe specializes in fresh breakfast sandwiches along with flavor-filled avocado toast.

Over 30 years ago, Michael’s Sourdough Sandwiches opened two locations in Marin County, one in San Rafael and the other in Novato. Since opening, the fast-casual sandwich shop has thrived, quickly catching the attention of many in Marin. They’ve won numerous awards, including “Best Sandwiches” by Marin Magazine in their Best of the County 2019 voting and Pacific Sun’s Best of Marin award for “Best Sandwich Shop,” and are often very busy, seeing a community of loyal guests who have rallied around them for decades.

At the beginning of September, a new sandwich restaurant named Sour Kid Cafe opened its doors right next to Michael’s. Owned by Michael’s son, Chris Braun, Sour Kid Cafe combines their renowned sourdough bread from Michael’s with fresh egg sandwiches. The menu also features other breakfast delicacies including pastries from Rustic Bakery. With just five items on the menu, the options are limited, but the reasonable prices and high-quality ingredients make Sour Kid Cafe a nice partner to its sibling restaurant next door.

Looking at Sour Kid’s menu, it was clear that their specialty dish was egg sandwiches, so it seemed necessary to try. I started by ordering a bacon, egg and cheddar sandwich and then one with avocado, egg and cheddar. When I tasted the sandwiches, I quickly understood the appeal; the warm sourdough from next door, paired with perfectly cooked eggs, melty cheese and crispy bacon/sliced avocado created a quality breakfast sandwich. Additionally, the spicy mayonnaise that came with it added a much-needed kick. To top it off, the cheese melted onto the bread, leaving a stretchy pull when I took a bite.

The sandwiches tasted good and contained intense flavor, but nothing made them stand out to me compared to other restaurants. While they comprise fresh ingredients, they could alternatively be made at home, so making the trip to Sour Kid solely for their breakfast sandwiches may not be the best idea. I felt Sour Kid could have used more of each item and I wish the bread was toasted to add a crunch to the cooked egg.

The bacon, egg and cheddar sandwich features crispy bacon, melty cheese and a fluffy egg on the fresh and famous Michael’s Sourdough bread.

As for other items on Sour Kid’s menu, I ordered the avocado toast, a dish that entails three slices of toasted sourdough topped with freshly sliced avocado and house-made seasoning. The meal also comes with chili oil on the side which many dip their toast into. Taking my first bite, I noticed the dish’s perfect portion of avocado. The house seasoning and chili oil elevated the flavor, making it more sophisticated than regular homemade avocado toast. 

Although it is a bit far from campus, Sour Kid Cafe offers quality and worthy breakfast options. With a limited but tasty menu, an old-time aesthetic and inviting outdoor seating, Sour Kid Cafe is certainly a good place to grab a reasonably priced breakfast, have a coffee with a friend or simply enjoy a nice morning in Marin.