Redwood drama comes together for the One Act Festival
Gabriella Rouas, • April 27, 2024

On April 27 at 7 p.m., the drama department will come together to showcase the hard work and skills they have learned to the broader community...

A dough-licious journey: Donut Shops of Marin
Jackson Gurvich and Luke TemperoApril 27, 2024

Nothing is better than starting your day with a donut from your local donut shop. Marin County has many great donut establishments that...

The strings on Congressman Jared Huffman’s racket break as he returns a serve from senior Jackson Sichel.
Congressman Jared Huffman visits boys’ varsity tennis practice after MCAL championship
Matthew KnauerApril 27, 2024

The boys’ varsity tennis team has enjoyed an eventful past two weeks. On Wednesday, April 17, they beat the Archie Williams Falcons 7-0...

Cancellation of Homecoming pop-up drive leaves students with limited choices

As of Oct. 4, the homecoming pop-up clothing drive led by senior Olivia Villanova and junior Charlotte Lacy has been canceled due to a lack of donations and rushed planning. 

The homecoming drive was inspired by last year’s highly successful prom pop-up boutique that aimed to provide students with accessible and free formal attire. This year’s goal was the same, except this time to provide clothing for the homecoming dance on Oct. 21.

Extensive amounts of donated formal attire await customers at last year’s prom pop-up drive. (Photo courtesy of Olivia Villanova)

Sophia Rubel, a junior who volunteered at last year’s pop-up for prom attire, was excited last spring to participate in the first ever Prom Boutique to be put on by Redwood.

“It seemed like such an amazing space. [The organizers] were able to use the space that Tesla had [at] The Village and they transformed it. They had a red carpet and racks of dresses like a store would,” Rubel said.

Villanova and Lacy began the process of planning the homecoming pop-up around a month ago by requesting formal attire from local businesses and students who had extra clothing that could be worn to homecoming.

“Our first step was to reach out to the community and some companies to get dresses in donations…We posted on Nextdoor [and] emailed some companies, reaching out to whoever we could,” said Villanova. 

Unfortunately, this year, the drive was called off due to a variety of reasons stemming from the lack of time for planning. Rubel expresses that this decision was disappointing for the Redwood community as a whole.

Senior Olivia Villanova checks out customers with their new prom dresses. (Photo courtesy of Olivia Villanova)

“It might impact other schools around us who may not have all the resources [to provide a pop-up for students],” Rubel said. “Its purpose was to provide [accessibility] for people who weren’t able to afford [homecoming attire].” 

The added costs of school dances can often be overlooked. Dresses alone can be extremely expensive, on top of the additional prices for tickets, transportation or meals. 

Villanova detailed some of the various reasons that led up to the closure of the drive, highlighting where they may have gone wrong. 

“We tried to throw together the homecoming pop-up in about a month, whereas, with the prom pop-up, I started planning in September of last year,” Villanova said “I just think people didn’t have much to donate this year.”

“We had two companies respond [about donating attire]: one emailed back and then we never heard from [them] aga

A customer shops for her to-be prom dress and the prom pop-up drive last year. (Photo courtesy of Olivia Villanova)

in, and then we started emailing another company back and forth and got completely ghosted,” Villanova said.

Despite the complications of limited time and insufficient donations, Villanova emphasizes the opportunity to understand these mistakes and turn them into valuable lessons.

“If [another student] wants to do a Homecoming pop-up next year, [they] can. [They can] learn from what we did this year,” Villanova said. “I think just planning earlier is what makes all the difference. [But] we still have dresses. So if somebody is in need, we can provide them with a dress.” 

For those who are in need of a homecoming dress and are unable to obtain one, contact Olivia Villanova at [email protected] or the leadership team.