Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

All students need media literacy training
Editorial StaffApril 30, 2024

The moon landing was staged and Apollo 13 never happened. QAnon. PizzaGate. Holocaust deniers. These are just a few of the endless conspiracies...

The Pennant Wall in the College and Career Center shows all the various colleges Redwood students vie for.
FAFSA rollout significantly delayed due to DOE errors
Peter DachtlerApril 30, 2024

Students across the country await for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process to be finished, as this year’s timescale...

Girls’ varsity field hockey sweeps Tam with a resounding victory

On Monday, Oct. 2, The girls’ varsity field hockey team played Tamalpais High School (Tam) on home turf and won a liberating game by the final score of 1-0. The players faced a strong Tam roster, but they came prepared. Sophomore and right forward Lucy Jeffers discussed that the lack of scoring during their first game against Tam increased their concerns for this game. The team had taken about 28 shots on goal in that particular game, and they remarked that it wasn’t their most effective offensive performance. Coming in with the desire to redeem themselves, the varsity girls played their best this time, employing stronger attacking techniques.

Asserting herself on the field, sophomore Lucy Miller makes a big play on defense.

Jeffers singled out her teammate, Maya Saibel, as an example of a performance that contributed to the win. 

“Saibel did a great job today. She was always communicating with the team and could outrun the opposition in [everytime]. She made several very good crosses, and it was because of her that we were able to score,” Jeffers said.

Varsity coach Aline Copp praised her team for their unwavering commitment and effort on the field, as well as their strategic gameplay. She also noted that these efforts paved the way for future victories, including the upcoming Marin County Athletic League matches.

“Through the entirety of the game, the girls continued to drive [the ball] up the field and sought out which ball gets through. It has been a tough week for us schedule wise, [and] the girls have had back to back games. In this game we were able to practice some harder, more calculated plays. [Those are] great for the team to work on, [as they’re] getting ready for the remainder of the season,” Copp said.

Striking the ball, senior Avery Kaster passes down the field.

Senior and center forward Samantha Haan disclosed that there is still potential for growth, notwithstanding the team’s excellent performance.

“We bring different efforts in different quarters, [and] in the last quarter we brought a lot of tenacity and determination. I think [those are] things we lacked in the earlier quarters. Bringing the same effort throughout the whole game is something we need to work on,” Haan said.

The team’s success at practice led to a large portion of the teamwork that was shown throughout the game, letting the Giants successfully demonstrate their dominance against Tam once more on the field. 

The girls intend to build on this victory when they play Marin Academy on Monday, Oct. 16, at the Redwood Ghilotti Turf Field.