Utopia or Dystopia? The hidden history of Bay Area cults
Linnea Koblik and Tallulah Knill AllenJuly 12, 2024

Silhouetted against the sweeping landscapes of the Bay and the Marin Headlands, the Bay Area is well known for its position in the counterculture...

Public protests and perspectives
Public protests and perspectives
Ava Stephens, Gabriella Rouas, Aanika Sawhney, Nadia Massoumi and Grace GehrmanJune 29, 2024

Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Ava CarlsonJune 27, 2024

El año pasado, tuve la oportunidad de hablar con estudiantes del grado 12 en la clase de English Language Development (ELD) sobre sus experiencias...

Zach Bryan’s New EP is ending all of our ‘Pain, Sweet, Pain’

Released on Sept. 22, “Boys of Faith” quickly made the top charts of streamed music in the United States (photo courtesy of MusicRow.com).

Just several weeks after country singer Zach Bryan released his extremely popular album, “Zach Bryan,” he stunned listeners on Sept. 22 with the surprise drop of his extended play (EP), “Boys of Faith.” Featuring five songs and artists Noah Kahan and Bon Iver, the EP was incredibly successful, becoming the second most popular album in America on Apple Music this past week. 

The EP starts off with the song “Nine Ball,” one that seemingly is inspired by Bryan’s relationship with his father. Featuring lyrics such as “My father was a bettin’ man/But I got myself a steady hand/He’s sittin’ in the corner with a six-pack of Corona/Bettin’ that his son’ll win again,” the song alludes to the faith that Bryan’s father put in him and his music career. The song starts the EP off with a nostalgic tone, one that remains throughout the rest of the newly released songs. 

The next two songs in Bryan’s EP feature artists Noah Kahan and Bon Iver, which were highly anticipated collaborations. Both “Sarah’s Place” and “Boys of Faith” have a slightly reminiscent tone. “Sarah’s Place” features Kahan and is about the process of moving on from a past love. Additionally, Iver is featured on “Boys of Faith,” a sweet and slightly upbeat song that has nostalgic tones about an old group of friends. The two songs are respectively in the top 25 most streamed songs this month and are loved by fans of all three artists due to their sentimental lyrics and calming instrumentals. 

Featuring folk artists Noah Kahan and Bon Iver, Bryan’s music was highly anticipated (photo courtesy of Rolling Stone).

“Boys of Faith” ends with two songs just by Bryan: “Deep Satin” and “Pain, Sweet, Pain.” Both songs are emotional, showcasing lyrics like “But you in Manhattan rollin’ in deep satin was a painful and wonderful drug” (“Deep Satin”) and “Pain, sweet pain, let’s learn somethin’ from it/I see the top, brother and I might just summit/’Cause I’ve been pinin’ and pinin’ for so damn long/Thinkin’ it’s about time someone else is strong” (“Pain, Sweet, Pain”).

The EP sticks very closely to Bryan’s usual style of music. From looking back on a past  relationship to struggling to be strong, “Boys of Faith” is sure to be a relatable EP for anyone that is feeling down this fall.