FDA approves Opill; The lens into the world of reproductive rights
Hailey Carlton and Annie BurlingameMay 16, 2024

From IUDs to Depo-Provera shots, and to the original pill (Plan-B), birth control has evolved substantially since its debut in May of 1950....

Photo Essay: Students celebrate the fifth annual Wellness Festival
Lauren OlsenMay 12, 2024

On Saturday, May 11, the Marin County Youth Commision (MCYC) hosted their fifth annual Wellness Festival for middle school and...

The Giants won their first MCAL banner since 2018.
Back at the top: Boys’ varsity baseball knocks off San Marin to claim MCAL banner
Gil Ladetzky and Hayden DonehowerMay 11, 2024

As the boys’ varsity baseball team entered the 2024 Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship game against San Marin, the bitter...

Girls’ varsity field hockey experiences unfortunate loss to SFU

On Monday, Sept. 18, the girls’ varsity field hockey team had an unfortunate loss to the San Francisco University (SFU) Devils, resulting in a 0-1 score. The first two quarters were very back-and-forth between Redwood and SFU, with both teams holding up strong defense. Goalkeeper and senior Caroline Muller had a couple of impressive saves, but for the most part the Giants’ defensive line was tough for the Devils to pass through. Senior Sammy Haan skillfully moved the game from in front of the Giants’ goal to the other side of the field. Approaching halftime, the game was tied 0-0.

Shooting for the goal, sophomore Lucy Miller is surrounded by University players.

About five minutes into the third quarter, SFU scored, just barely slipping by Redwood’s defense, bringing the score to 0-1. The action from the Giants shifted to primarily offensive effort, while still maintaining a strong defensive cushion. Senior Maisie Pipitone made awesome blocks and passes to push the game to the Devils’ side of the field, and strong communication from senior Georgia Bender allowed the team to gain perspective from all over the field. Although Redwood kept their game tight during the remainder of the third and fourth quarters, they were unable to score against SFU, resulting in a final score of 0-1. 

Keeping the game in bounds, senior Georgia Bender strikes the ball down the sideline.

Bender comments on some of the setbacks the team has experienced leading up to the game. “We’ve lost a couple of our players early this season due to injuries. If we lose a couple essential starting players it takes a hit on our team’s energy. Team talent can fill in the holes, but it takes some practice,” Bender said. “We also have a lot of new players on varsity this year and we didn’t have an extensive preseason, so we are still building up our team chemistry as a whole.”

Spectator Ian Krumwiede discusses the fight and effort from the Giants. “It was a well-fought game, and Redwood upheld a really tight defense. The [Giants] never seemed to slow down or change their effort during the game, they just got unlucky with their offense,” Krumwiede said.

Bender also elaborates on the importance of playing as a team, and the bond between the players. “Today many of [the Redwood] players were playing individually rather than as a team. When we start playing as a team, there’s a special connection, and our team can be unstoppable,” Bender said.

The next girls’ varsity field hockey game is Wednesday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m. against Convent. The Giants are sure to bring a strong fight and make for a great game!