Construction students Taylor Bridges, Leila Fraschetti, Emmanuel Medina, Mary Coleman and John Kozubik (left to right) applaud their peers as they speak about their appreciation for their teachers and the resources they were provided.
Photo Essay: Redwood ROP Construction Program celebrates graduates
Isabelle DavisMay 23, 2024

On May 22, the Redwood Regional Occupational Program Construction Technology celebrated the graduation of 19 Redwood students and...

Marin’s Finest Fairways: Reviewing the best public golf courses
Hayden DonehowerMay 23, 2024

Tee up for an adventure in Marin County’s vibrant golf scene! Get ready to explore the fairways, traps and views of the best public golf courses....

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Paying the price of adopt vs. shop
Chloe JenningsMay 23, 2024

The American population is becoming increasingly aware of ethical considerations around pets. Buying a pet from a breeder versus adopting a pet...

Breaking Records: Women’s Volleyball kills their first game

Diving on the floor, senior Abby Lee eagerly watches Kate Sicklick set the ball.

Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2023 marked a new frontier for women’s sports; 92,003 attendees watched the University of Nebraska’s women’s volleyball team break a world record for women’s sports game attendance.

As women in athletics continue to tear down previously untouched records, Redwood continues to boast impressive new female athletes. Varsity volleyball’s first game was an impressive sweep; beating Maria Carillo in just 3 sets.

The synergy between the team was obvious; the roster is packed with talented players who all displayed extreme effort, took risks and enjoyed their time on the court. Junior Neeva Gaine, a second year varsity player, commented on her favorite play of the game. 

Junior Ella Moran carefully reads her opponents serve, waiting to receive the ball.

“Kate Sicklick took a huge swing and hit one of her opponents in the face – it had a lot of power behind it,” Gaine said. Senior Sienna Kennedy jumped in on the conversation; sharing another play. “Jaden [Hendrickson] committed to an insane [pass] – she practically flew across the court to get the up,” Kennedy said. 

The volleyball program has undergone vast changes since last season –  new coach Loren Anderson will be assuming responsibility for all three teams. Additionally, freshmen players have shifted the team’s dynamic – with new additions Maddie Wagner and Katie Lazzareschi as starting players. 

Outside hitters Maddy Wagner and Jaden Hendrickson often brought the point to a close with outstanding kills. Digs by Nancy Ritchey and Ella Moran kept the ball alive from the back row. And most prominently, the bench’s spirit and volume kept the game moving forward. 

Overall, varsity volleyball has a long and adventurous season ahead of them. With a smooth victory from their first home game, they’ve proven themselves to excel in gameplay – come and see for yourself on Sep. 20, where the girls will battle San Marin on home territory.