Freshman Haley Boyarski extends her arms to block a spike (Photo courtesy of Kim Wagner)
Setting the standard: Positivity in beach volleyball
Caroline VeleyMay 1, 2024

As the warm Spring weather approaches, many indoor volleyball players look for an alternative sport to fill their schedule while enjoying the...

Starting at Oracle Park, Solle fires a fastball towards home plate. Photo by Graham Weir.
Sports Spotlight: The Solle show
Jake PostMay 1, 2024

Rex Solle is a familiar name among Redwood students and local baseball fans. As a senior, the varsity baseball player is looking to add to his...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Leveling the playing field: Equality for girls' basketball
Paige EdelenApril 30, 2024

Every year, the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship boys’ basketball game occurs, attracting crowds from all over Marin. Students,...

Breaking Records: Women’s Volleyball kills their first game

Diving on the floor, senior Abby Lee eagerly watches Kate Sicklick set the ball.

Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2023 marked a new frontier for women’s sports; 92,003 attendees watched the University of Nebraska’s women’s volleyball team break a world record for women’s sports game attendance.

As women in athletics continue to tear down previously untouched records, Redwood continues to boast impressive new female athletes. Varsity volleyball’s first game was an impressive sweep; beating Maria Carillo in just 3 sets.

The synergy between the team was obvious; the roster is packed with talented players who all displayed extreme effort, took risks and enjoyed their time on the court. Junior Neeva Gaine, a second year varsity player, commented on her favorite play of the game. 

Junior Ella Moran carefully reads her opponents serve, waiting to receive the ball.

“Kate Sicklick took a huge swing and hit one of her opponents in the face – it had a lot of power behind it,” Gaine said. Senior Sienna Kennedy jumped in on the conversation; sharing another play. “Jaden [Hendrickson] committed to an insane [pass] – she practically flew across the court to get the up,” Kennedy said. 

The volleyball program has undergone vast changes since last season –  new coach Loren Anderson will be assuming responsibility for all three teams. Additionally, freshmen players have shifted the team’s dynamic – with new additions Maddie Wagner and Katie Lazzareschi as starting players. 

Outside hitters Maddy Wagner and Jaden Hendrickson often brought the point to a close with outstanding kills. Digs by Nancy Ritchey and Ella Moran kept the ball alive from the back row. And most prominently, the bench’s spirit and volume kept the game moving forward. 

Overall, varsity volleyball has a long and adventurous season ahead of them. With a smooth victory from their first home game, they’ve proven themselves to excel in gameplay – come and see for yourself on Sep. 20, where the girls will battle San Marin on home territory.