Construction continues on Doherty Drive

For the second consecutive September, Doherty Drive is under construction.  This year however, the focus is on the bridge, and work is anticipated to continue on until Jan. 15.

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 10.51.53 AM

Caltrans determined the bridge to be structurally deficient, due to deterioration by the corrosive effects of salts in the creek water so, construction was planned and started at the beginning September.

The proposed project involves replacing the existing two-lane Doherty Drive Bridge with a single-span lane as well as  roadway widening, street lighting, and domestic water main and cable TV relocation.

According to public works director of the project Mary Grace Houlihan, who has been attending weekly meetings regarding the bridge, workers are doing all they can to ensure safety of the community, as well as the construction workers currently dedicating to renovating the bridge.

Due to environmental permitting involving the locally endangered clapper rail, construction is being forced into a time frame between September and January.  This will cause roads to be closed sporadically during nights and weekends in order to avoid conflict with students commuting to and from school.

In the meantime, Houlihan emphasizes that students be careful around the construction currently taking place.  “It’s crucial that students respect the construction site,” Houlihan said.  “A lot o

f students are not and they need to it’s critical for the health of the community and construction workers.  This includes not going past tape on their bikes or skateboards.”

Construction continues on Doherty Drive