APW kicks off festivities with a lunch holiday concert

Natalie Welch

On Dec. 9, the Advanced Performance Workshop (APW) class held a holiday concert, which sent students dancing into the festive spirits of the season. The class decided to perform seasonal songs during the lunch period, allowing students to take a nice musical break before finals week starts. 

It kicked off with Jasmine Estreba and Caitlin Beard singing “I’ll be home for Christmas,” followed by Ally Woodruff singing “White Christmas,” then Emma Orrick singing “Santa Baby,” and finishing off with Julia Ginsburg singing “Underneath the Tree.”

Senior Emma Orrick, belting out the notes of Santa Baby as three Advanced Placement Students play band behind her.

Madison Bishop, a freshman in Intermediate Performance Workshop applauded the APW students, and was one of the many peers in attendance. 

“It’s really inspiring because they started out as freshmen and it’s incredible to see them blossom as juniors and seniors into their own independent artists,” Bishop said. 

Having the concert take place during lunch allowed for many other students like Bishop to get to see their peers, making this a rare opportunity for APW students to perform only in front of fellow students. Senior Dominic Monetta, an APW student and longtime piano player, had a positive experience performing.

“It’s definitely scary because it’s an audience that will judge you, but it’s a lot of fun because I get to share my work with other people,” Monetta said.

The APW class hopes to continue to expand their performance opportunities with a blues concert coming up next semester on March 3rd. 

“We only have two concerts in the year, [so] this is the start of many concerts to come in the future,,” Monetta said. 

This marks the last APW concert of the semester, one filled with jingle bells, good melodies and smiling faces, to kick off finals and the holiday season.