Girls’ golf takes home the MCAL championship

Sam Sumski

Holding roses up for victory, the team’s spirits are high. (Photo courtesy of Katelyn Van Dusen)

On Oct. 17, the Meadow Club held the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) girls’ golf playoff tournament. The Redwood girls went into the match undefeated and were ready to continue their streak. After 18 holes of golf, the Giants came out on top, outscoring second place Branson by nine strokes.

Sophomore Katelyn Van Dusen was very nervous but ready to compete when she arrived at the golf course. 

“The whole team was extremely excited to get out and play,” Van Dusen said. “We hyped each other up and relied on each other like we have the whole season.” 

This strategy worked well, as Van Dusen shot the low for Redwood at a score of 81 (10 over par), leading the team to victory. Van Dusen said that she was extremely excited with her low score, as she started playing golf only two years ago. 

“I really started to enjoy the game more when I started playing with my friends because it was more fun, and they keep me very motivated,” Van Dusen said. 

This win was extremely important to the team because they lost to Branson twice last year and desired revenge. One of the most consistent players on the team this year, sophomore Taylor Bridges, played golf every day during the season to prepare for the big match. 

Sitting atop the leaderboard, Redwood stands with 331 strokes. (Photo courtesy of Taylor Bridges)

“I went out to courses before we played [the matches] because then, after playing the course, I could be more ready for what to expect in the match,” Bridges said. 

In addition to individual improvements, there was a sense of comradery within the team throughout the season. Coach Dean Rider was in awe of how the team played together in the season, especially due to the large number of players. 

“This season was a real [team] win. We had seven players make the all-league roster, and I can only play six players per match. It was a great problem to have,” Rider said. 

Rider is also looking forward to the team in the upcoming seasons.

“Our team is super young. We have an extremely talented sophomore group that will only keep improving over the next two seasons,” Rider said. 

Celebrating together, the team stands with the victory pennant. (Photo courtesy of Taylor Bridges)

This young group of golfers helped the team remain undefeated and keep morale high throughout the whole season. Sophomore Chole Branson added that their team captain additionally aided in communication and led them to play well this season. 

“Our team captain, Hannah Knopping, was a great leader this season,” Branson said. “[Knopping] was full of energy and kept the team spirits high during the whole season and especially during the MCAL championship.”

Not only was the team energy great the whole season, but the players were always able to rely on their teammates when they had a bad day on the course. 

“We had a stacked lineup this year. If I did not have a good round, I could always count on my teammates to pick me up and play well,” Bridges said. 

This was what carried the team to victory this season and what will propel them toward more wins in the next two seasons. The team now takes their high hopes and undefeated record to the North Coast Section (NCS) tournament for a shot at qualifying for the state championship.