A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

UPDATE: New policies regarding Back to School Dance

unknown

Story updated 10:00 a.m. to reflect change in ticket price

The Back to School Dance will take place as usual this upcoming Friday, with some new changes in policy planned for the event.

The administration announced in an email Tuesday that in response to attendance size and past events, practices such as increased security, random breathalyzing of students, and stricter dress code enforcement would be enacted at the dance.

Katy Foster, the Assistant Principal in charge of student activities, said that the exact details behind some of the new policies are currently unclear.  For example, the exact procedure behind random breathalyzing of students is still being worked out to keep entrance to the dance fluid.

“At other schools they’ll roll a die, and if you get a 6 you get breathalyzed,” Foster said.  “If we did one in six with 1000 kids coming, we’d be there all night.  Somehow it’s got to be a bigger number.”

In regards to the dress code, Foster said that the administration would place an additional focus on the issue of girls unbuttoning their shirts below an appropriate level.

“With more adults there, there will be people to say button your shirt, pull up your shirt, and if the student keeps not doing it then we’ll have to see what the exact [response] might be,” Foster said.

Additionally, Foster said that students could be turned away at the door for dressing inappropriately.

One policy that is firm, however, is the addition of up to eight new security guards.  Foster said that the addition is meant to help supervise the increasing attendance at the dance, and would patrol both the second floor quad.

Foster also said that ticket prices would increase to $15 this year.

An additional email was sent out from the administration reminding seniors who are suspended during the first semester cannot appeal for their removal from their record until the Spring Semester.