Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Decision 2012: The Issues

As the 2012 presidential election approaches, we are all being barraged by political advertisements, slogans, speeches, and more. However, most of this propaganda virtually ignores the central part of the election: the issues. Here’s the rundown on the political stances of Democratic candidate and incumbent president Barack Obama and Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

The Issue: Taxes

Obama: Obama argues that the tax code currently benefits only the wealthiest in the country. He has already cut taxes for the working class, and according to his campaign, he has proposed a tax increase for the wealthy and “asked Congress to take action to reform our tax code and close tax loopholes for millionaires and billionaires.”

President Obama rode a wave of positive feelings to his historic 2008 election victory, but faces tough opposition from Republican challenger Mitt Romney.

Romney: Romney’s campaign claims that the corporate tax rate is “reducing the ability of our nation’s businesses to compete in the global economy and to invest and create jobs at home.” He promises to cut the corporate tax rate and propose individual tax cuts, such as a reduction in marginal tax rates, which would directly benefit the wealthy.

The Issue: Gas Prices and the Environment

Romney: Romney generally supports energy policies that would stimulate the American economy through job creation, but could harm the environment. For example, he supports the construction of a Canadian oil pipeline that would create U.S. jobs and lower gas prices but could cause pollution and wildlife harm. However, some Republicans argue that the environmental impact of this project (and others) is often overstated. Romney would also reduce funding for alternative energy research.

Obama: According to Obama’s campaign, he “has made protecting the environment a priority.” He emphasizes job creation in the clean energy industry, and has “enacted the largest expansion of land and water conservation and protected wilderness ion a generation.” He has stalled on making a decision about the construction of the Canadian oil pipeline.

The Issue: Health Care

Obama: In 2010, Obama passed the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, which made health care more affordable for many Americans, while increasing the size of the federal government. Among other provisions, the law provides tax credits to small businesses that cover their employees’ insurance, and requires that insurance companies accept all applicants (previously, applicants could be denied on the basis of pre-existing conditions).

Romney: Romney’s campaign claims that Obamacare “will make America a less attractive place to practice medicine, discourage innovators from investing in life-saving technology, and restrict consumer choice.” Romney promises that as president he would “issue an executive order that would pave the way for the federal government to issue Obamacare waivers to all fifty states” and would work with Congress to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

The Issue: Abortion and Birth Control

Obama: According to Obama’s campaign, the passing of the Affordable Care Act will require insurance companies to cover birth control, which will save women money and allow them to use birth control without worrying about the cost. Obama is pro-choice.

Romney: Romney is pro-life, and his campaign states that he believes the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion. According to his campaign, Romney “supports the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. As president, he will end federal funding for abortion advocates like Planned Parenthood.”

The Issue: Gay Rights

Challenger Mitt Romney must keep his conservative base happy, while attempting to win over the independent voters he needs to topple Obama.

Romney: Romney’s campaign argues that marriage is “critical for the well-being of a civilization. That is why it is so important to preserve traditional marriage – the joining together of one man and one woman.” Romney says that, as president, he would promote a Federal Marriage Amendment to constitutionally define marriage as between a man and a woman.

Obama: While in office, Obama repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” a law that prevented openly homosexual soldiers from serving in the military. According to his campaign, his administration “was the first to provide hospital visitation and medical decision-making rights to same-sex couples.” When running for president four years ago, Obama opposed same-sex marriage, but he now publicly supports it.

The Issue: Education

Romney: Although Romney’s campaign does not identify specific actions he would take as president, it states that he believes in holding students to testing standards. As governor of Massachusetts, he “expanded access to high-quality public charter schools” and proposed a scholarship for Massachusetts students.

Obama: Obama’s campaign claims he “has doubled our investment in scholarships and financial aid.” It says he “has worked to raise K-12 standards, invest in teachers, and turn around low-performing schools.” Obama also signed a law that forgives student debt after a certain amount of time, depending on occupation and previous repayment of debt.

The Issue: Immigration

Obama: Obama supports the passing of the DREAM Act, which would allow immigrants who arrived in America as children to go to college or serve in the military. However, Congress, and not the president, has the power to pass this law. According to Obama’s, his administration has “proposed a change in policy that would help keep families together as they pursue legal status.”

Romney: Romney believes in discouraging illegal immigration. According to his campaign, he “will complete a high-tech fence to enhance border security,” and would develop a system that would allow employers to check the legal status of their workers. Romney would also take steps to develop legal immigration, such as encouraging Congress to raise country caps.